Rage

A/N: Reveal and angst. The usual.
Also- I have once again returned! I think it's probably safe to assume that from now on my posting will be inconsistent. Thanks for your patience with me!

Setting: Between series 4 and 5.

Description: Rage clouds the mind, impairs judgement. And Merlin knows this.

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin unfortunately.

"Hurry, Merlin!" Arthur hissed the words into his manservant's ear as they ran along. Well, hobbled along. Merlin did his best to ignore the shooting pain in his ankle as he shifted the arm that was draped across Arthur's shoulders. The cries of the mercenaries behind them grew louder, much to the pair's horror.

"Arthur, leave me. Please." Merlin pleaded. Arthur only huffed in response, and quickened his pace. Not a few seconds later, they found themselves at a gorge. It wasn't deep, nor was it all that wide. Arthur would be able to clear it with a simple jump.

But Merlin wouldn't.

"We'll go around." Arthur stated, turning to guide his stubborn manservant. But Merlin refused to move. "Merlin, we don't have time for this."

"Arthur, you have to leave me!" Merlin's tone was desperate. He pulled his arm away from Arthur's grasp, before giving the king a little nudge.

"I'm not leaving, you idiot!" The king tried once more to reason with Merlin. The shouts of the men were getting closer, and Merlin knew that they only had minutes, at best, before they were killed.

So Merlin did the only thing he could think of.

He opened his big mouth.

"I'm a sorcerer!" The words made Arthur stiffen as he met Merlin's blue eyes, searching for any signs of a lie. "I'm a sorcerer, Arthur, I have magic." Merlin repeated, desperately trying to convince the king.

Suddenly, Arthur relaxed. "You're lying." He sounded so sure of himself when he spoke. "You're just trying to get me to leave you." Well, that much was true. "It won't work, Merlin."

"I'm not lying!" Merlin choked. "I'm a bloody sorcerer! The very thing your father spent years trying to get rid of!" Arthur couldn't help but feel as if Merlin was telling the truth. He looked as upset as Merlin felt.

"Fine. Let's say you are a sorcerer." Arthur began, his expression unsure. "I'm still not leaving you. We've been friends for years, Merlin. I trust you, and you deserve to explain why you did what you did." Those were exactly the words Merlin had always wanted to hear. And that made it so much worse.

"I released the Great Dragon!" Merlin blurted out. Arthur's face fell. "I set the dragon free that day!" Still, Arthur stood there, not leaving his "traitorous" manservant behind. So Merlin did the only thing he could think of. "I'm the sorcerer that killed your father!" Arthur took an involuntary step backwards. "I disguised myself as Dragoon to get revenge! I'm the most powerful sorcerer in existence!" Merlin's voice rose with each word, and with each word, Arthur seemed to inch back. Betrayal and hurt flashed in the king's blue eyes, and Merlin did his best to keep his expression level.

"No..." Arthur whispered. "No, I don't believe it! Gaius said that Agravaine placed a charm on my father. He said that Dragoon really tried to help! So whatever reasoning you had for releasing the dragon, we can figure that out when we get back. Just come on, Merlin!" The king desperately pulled at the warlock's arm.

"I've been using you!" Merlin refused to let any tears form. "All these years, I've been using you to make my way into the heart of Camelot, so when I chose to strike, I had access to whatever I need! I've spent all this time kissing up to you, pretending to be your friend. But I never was." Each statement tore away at Merlin's insides. "I only wanted to see Camelot fall for its crimes. I pushed Morgana until she became evil, hoping she could help me when the time came! I was never a friend to you, or to Camelot!" Merlin spat the words. Arthur's expression changed between one of hurt to one of anger, and Merlin couldn't hide the sigh of relief when Arthur turned away.