Chapter-4

''Mom, that's not possible. Not now not, not  ever.'' Tarun screamed hearing his mother's idea

''And why so?'' Devyani asked equally agitated

''Because I don't want to.'' he sounded angry

''Is there any one in your life that you are interested in ?''

''No, but that doesn't mean I marry Kajal.''

''What's wrong with her?'' Devyani was hell bent on making the match. She knew Kajal was one in million , girls like her made the home out of house. But she failed explained the same to her beauty blind son.

''Mom, she is not my type and she can never be. I won't...'' Before he could complete there was a hard knock on the cottage door. Jatin answered and Kajal stepped in asking for Devyani, Jatin guided her to the inner bedroom. With a nod she walked past Tarun and stood facing Devyani, ''Aunty, I know you meant my good but Tarun is not the guy I would want to settle down with. Like every girl, I too have an image of a my life partner in my mind and Tarun doesn't fit it anywhere '' Turning to Tarun she politely addressed him, "I don't mean to insult you, but I am sure your too second my opinion.'' He said nothing or frankly heard nothing, all his mind could comprehend was that he was being out right rejected by her. He kept his eyes on her face trying to figure out if there was a hidden intention behind this refusal. They had started off on a bad note , was she looking for a chance to insult him. Till date he had never seen a single rejection, people flocked around him like moths around light , then what quality or weakness of his made this girl reject him his openly. That bruised his ego rather too bad.

Turning to Devyani, she held her hand between the palms, ''I hope this doesn't affect your friendship with my Mom. She is worried about losing you over this refusal'

Devyani cupped Kajal's cheek, ''Lucky will be the guy who would marry you and tell Sheela that our friendship can never be affected by such petty things. Bless you'' Kajal smiled, she gave the elder lady a hug and left the cottage without giving Tarun a single glance.

''Your problem solved. Unlucky you'' Throwing the words at Tarun Devyani left the room. She couldn't believe her adult son to be so blind. She started throwing the clothes back into the suitcase, today being the last of the trip . She had plans to celebrate the union with her dear friends but her luck. A day back she had been thanking god for sending Kajal to her, now she was cursing the supreme power for making her hope being aware of her son's hopeless choices.

***

''I wish things would have taken a different turn. I so wanted Kajal in my family.'' Devyani whined. She had decided to enjoy the evening tea with her childhood friend , minus their husband and children. Sheela smiled, ''Its fine, I wasn't sure about it. Your son can get the best.''

''No, he just lost the best, or I should say he lost the cream and now left with whey.'' Devyani made a face making her friend chuckle

''Its okay, it will happen if it is meant to be. Let's not force, if something goes wrong they will blame us.'' Devyani nodded. The two friends sat watching the sunset promising each other to stay in touch. It wasn't that difficult , as they both were in the same city. Its just that they never happened to cross each other.

Kajal was ready to leave, she stood at the reception finishing the check out formalities. She watched as the two friends hugged each other emotionally, promising daily calls. Devyani's eyes again went to Kajal, she took a deep breath. Only if her son could see the gem he is losing, she wished for him to fall on  some rock and gain some brains.