Chapter-22

'''Why aren't you letting me go alone?'' Kajal asked her chin on Tarun's shoulder, blinking her eyes like a doll. Tarun made sure that all friends were being picked up by family before walking Kajal to his car. As he took the wheel, she leaned on to him.

''You are drunk!''

''No, I am not...I know who I am and I know who are you!'' She replied all confident making him smile, Kajal caressed his cheek with her finger, ''You look handsome when you smile.'' He now chuckled, ''You are seriously drunk, now let me drive.''

''And you are blushing!'' She said watching his cheek turned pink. Tarun didn't say a word but could feel her eyes on him, it made him conscious around her. His heart felt nervous yet happy at the same time.

''You know what Tarun, you have a golden chance to take me home. I am drunk and won't protest!'' She offered. Tarun looked at her surprised, and couldn't remove his eyes from her face. Her lose strands danced around her face making her look like a moon playing hide and seek with clouds. The tough expression she carried all the time was now replaced by a soft carefree one. He smiled, ''I will , on the day you are not drunk.''

''Just tell me straight Tarun, do you want me in your life?'' Her question shocked him, he quickly moved off the road. Tarun turned the engine off and looked at her for a minute, ''Why did you say that?''

''because I know I am not your choice. You are hanging on just because that silly marriage thing. It hurts Tarun, it hurts bad. Have you ever faced rejection? I have, you won't know how deep it hurts your self esteem.''

''No one can reject you Kajal.''

''Really? You did, didn't you? You married me because it was your mother's wish. You had no intention to marry me but you went ahead ....I don't know why.'' She turned silent. Tarun understood the reason of outburst was the drinks he decided to let her talk today, ''The Kajal you see today is the result of lot of hard work, million rejections and being shamed for looks. Even today , when I am successful I get suggestion about how to lighten up my skin because my husband is fair. But how would you know? You always got praised for good...for being best...you are an idol for your friends because of your choices until I came along and became a dent in your perfect world.'' She wiped her cheeks, ''Tell me something Tarun, do you loath my looks? Is this the reason you never tried to be closer to me. Or may be you thought, if I touch her I might turn like her or what would my friends think. Right??''

''I am sorry!''

''Hell with your sorry! Just give me a final answer and get done with it.'' This time her voice came loud.

Tarun stared at her for long, ''Fine, I will do whatever you ask me to but in morning.'' He moved the vehicle off the road and drove in silence towards her house. Kajal kept staring out of the window, not being able to look into his eyes and scared that the wetness in her eyes would give all. She didn't wanted to be rude but everything till date and his confusing gestures resulted in the outburst. She feared he might just let her go, on the other side she thought it would be good for both.

She pushed open the door as he pulled up his car outside her house. With wobbly steps she walked to the front door and slipped. Tarun caught her before she could touch the earth, ''Don't touch me!'' She retorted

''Shut UP! Let me drop you inside safely and I won't show you my face again.'' His voice came angry. She stared at him as her lips trembled. He shut his eyes, ''Sorry, I shouldn't have raised my voice.''

''I don't like you!''

''I know!''

''You don't a thing Tarun Mehra...and you won't ever know it.'' She challenged as he walked her to the door. Tarun pressed the door bell to be answered.