Clueless .

-Emily's point of view-

Life is supposed to begin the very moment you come out of your mother's womb, right? Or maybe the day your parents watch you take your very first steps on the stained wood of your childhood home. But for me it was different.

My life began the day I met my best friend. Harry.

It was only a few days after my eleventh birthday when it happened. Mom knocked on my bedroom door, not waiting for my permission to enter before she came in and sat down on the corner of my bed. She told me we were leaving to go to a little town in England called Cheshire in less than two days.

It was sudden, and at the time I didn't quite understand what was happening. Why did we have to leave Florida so suddenly? But now that I'm older I get it.

My mom needed to escape. Escape from the home that was a constant reminder of the hundreds of memories created with my estranged father and herself. She was broken at that point in her life and in the end, I think she realized the sad moments that took place in this home would always trump the happy ones. It wouldn't matter. They weren't going to leave that home. So we moved.

It was only a day later we had a new home in England. It was scary at first; trying to make new friends, starting a new school and living in a completely different country. But then Harry came into my life or maybe I came into his, but still, there he was. A mess of chocolate curls and soft emerald eyes.

-Flashback-

My first day at Cheshire Prep was already starting out wonderfully. My pleated skirt had already acquired a large cereal milk stain by the time mom dropped me off at the school enrollment office. The amount of frizz taking over my strawberry blonde curls was nearly frightening. I wished mom wouldn't have insisted on trying to brush through it. It only made it worse. 

I tried to remember the encouraging words mom smothered me with in the car on the way to school as I made my way through the front doors, but I was too far gone. My nerves were never ending and I couldn't stop the rush of blood running to my pale cheeks making them a deep shade of pink.

I tried to ignore the looks on the teachers' faces as they escorted me around the school, stopping at my first class of the day. Art.

The classroom was incredibly bright, yet the rain outside drizzling outside the windows was just enough to make my nerves settle in the slightest. The rain never failed to calm me.

"Hi, lovely!" My new teacher greeted me. She was pretty, a brunette and quite plump all around. "You must be our new student! I'm Ms.Mulder. You can ask me any questions you have about the school if you need too! Why don't you go ahead and introduce yourself and take a seat."

Her tone never lost even a smidge of enthusiasm as she spoke. And me, well, my nerves were wreaking havoc over my entire body. 

I cleared my throat, unsure if I even wanted to say anything considering the number of eyes on me. But eventually, the words did come out. "Hi. I'm Em- Emily," I managed to get out. 

I looked sheepishly at the other eleven-year-olds glaring back at me, none of them saying a word in return. Not even a simple wave. I looked back at Ms.Mulder, wondering what to do. She just gestured for me to go ahead and find a seat. 

I gave her a sad excuse for a smile, running my hand through my mess of frizzy curls and turned back to the classroom. My fingers getting stuck in between the knots were the least of my problems. 

I held tightly to the straps of my backpack, walking to the back of the classroom. At first, I didn't see any spaces that weren't already taken by the others, but then once I was in the last row, I saw him and the vacant space beside him.