Promise .

Harry .

Em and I are sitting at lunch, bickering about what movie we should watch when she nervously mumbles something under her breath. She only mumbles when she is unsure of what my reaction will be. It's usually just about candy corn desserts though. This is different. I tug on her curl gently, raising my eyebrow. "What was that Em?" 

She lets a big sigh leave her pretty pink lips. "I may have invited Liam to cheesy movie night. It was an accident." I don't know why, i'm not really surprised. Em has been spending the last few weeks with him non stop. I guess she decided she really does want Liam. Not me. It's been hard, but I just want her to be happy.

"Maybe he will like clueless just as much as you." I smile, pushing my hurt feelings away for the moment, and tugging at her blonde curl. "You're not mad?" She asks, hopefully, and I shake my head no. "Is that you telling me we should watch clueless tonight then?" Em giggles, poking my dimple. 

"If you promise not to fall asleep half way through the movie.." I push my hair back from my face, and cross my arms over the table. Em looks at me, and puts her small pinky finger next to mine. "Promise." I smile, wrapping my finger around hers.

It's the happiest I've felt in weeks having her touch my hand in even the littlest way possible. 

.

I'm leaving the bakery now. I have stolen a few different kinds of cookies, and three bags of candy corn for what should be a really awkward movie night with Em, and Liam. I also brought blueberry scones for Em's mum. She's back for a couple days, and I always remember that she used to come into the bakery when Em and I were younger, and get a scone for each day of the week, also I was thinking this was a way to get her to autograph my copy of her new book. 

Note to self, make sure to tell her mum not to tell Em I read her books.

Before I can even knock on Em's door Liam opens the door. I guess he was already here. He probably has been her all damn day. I need to let this go. I need to let her go.

"Hey mate." He mumbles, kindly and I follow him inside. I notice the sound of Em, and her mum's laughter in the kitchen, and I grin. Her mum spots me first, and she runs to me, pulling me into a bear hug. "Harry! I haven't seen you in months! You've gotten taller I think. Still cute as a button I see!" She pinches my cheeks, and I let out a laugh. Em's mum has always been so kind to me. Just as my mum treats Em as a daughter, Em's mum treats me as a son.

"I'm good. How has your tour been? I brought you a little something." I say, handing her the box of scones. Her eyes light up, and Em and Liam begin walking to her bedroom. "We're going to pick a movie Harry, You coming?" Em asks, a smirk on her face. I know she is thinking of our promise earlier at lunch. Clueless. "Be there in a second." I say, and her mum shouts after them. "Liam and Harry can sleep in the living room tonight,Okay?" Em lets out a nervous giggle. "Okay mom!"

Em's mum turns back to me, and ignores my previous question about her book tour as she pops a scone into her mouth. "So Harry what's new kid?" I smile at her, and pull the paperback from my messenger bag around my body. "I was hoping you could sign this." Her eyes widen, and she laughs. "You read these Harry? I didn't know kids your age read my books!"

"They're my favorite books. Don't tell Em that though. She will never let it go." I reply, and she nods agreeing with me, pulling a pen from the drawer, and signing it neatly. "Thanks." I say, beginning to walk to Em's room, but she stops me. "Harry." I turn. "Yeah?" 

Em's mum points to her daughters bedroom, and sadly smiles at me. "I always thought it would be you and Em who would end up together." My smile drops, and I nod. "Me too. It was nice to see you again." I tell the truth, wondering how long she has known I've been in love with her daughter. 

Before I walk into Em's bedroom I try stitching my heart up piece by piece. It's going to be a long night.

.