12- Let's Argue About Useless Knowledge! Part 2

Ouma's POV:
No one wants to listen to me.

No one ever wants to listen to me. Why did I even try to give further evidence? I knew it was a mistake from the start. So why did I do it? No one wants to believe the fact that I saw the true culprit!

"So then, if Shuichi is not the culprit, and Tsumugi is not the culprit, and Miu is not the culprit, then who is?" Korekiyo asks.

"Hey, wasn't Gonta in the A/V room the whole time?" Maki points out.

"I bet he's the culprit!"

"No! Gonta not culprit!"

"Yeah, he's too much of a gentleman to do such a horrendous thing!"

"That's true, but think about it. The A/V room is right across the rear door from the library, right? He could've opened that door somehow, and thrown the shot put ball!"

People continue to argue over whether Gonta is the culprit or not. Honestly, I don't think he is, because he's way too nice. The only way is if someone manipulated him into doing it, but that wouldn't make much sense, considering he was in the A/V room alone. Eventually, everyone comes to a conclusion.

"Gonta can't be the culprit, because of the dust on the door! That means it hasn't been pried open, and there's no other way his arm would fit!"

"Oh.. yeah..."

"Atua agrees too!"

"Thank you Kaede! Gonta not culprit!"

"There's been so many suspects, but none of them are the culprit," Maki confirms.

"Yeah... why couldn't the culprit have it easy on us, and just not have a class trial?" Kaito mutters.

"...I guess they wanted to do the extra work."

"..." I notice Saihara's been quiet the entire time. I mean, he's already quiet in general, but I don't think he's said anything at all. He's looking down at his podium, his nails digging into it. Isn't he the detective? Isn't he supposed to figure out the answer, and not Kaede?

"We've already exhausted all possible avenues of discussion," Korekiyo says.

"No way. There had to be something else we can discuss. We just gotta think," Kaede says with optimism. She has a lot of hope in her voice. "Right, Shuichi?" Huh?

"Huh?" Exactly. Saihara looks up from his podium.

"Shuichi... even though you're not the culprit, you've been quiet for a while... It's because you've realized something, huh? You're scared to reveal the truth," Kaede says.

"Ah-!" Saihara exclaims. Kaede must have been right then.

"...I thought so. Shuichi... Answer me this- what kind of truth did you realize? Don't be scared to say it- not just for me, but for everyone else." I still don't know what they're talking about and I don't intend to find out. Man, standing at these podiums for an hour makes people tired. I stretch my arms and yawn as I continue to listen.

Finally, he answers. "The picture."

"Picture?"

"The picture from the camera aimed at the hidden door, just before the murder. I always thought it was suspicious... the way he was acting..."

"Hm? What's suspicious?"

Saihara continues explaining. "See, it looks like Rantaro's trying to remove the camera... Which means he noticed the camera we set up."

"That's true... but when did he notice that?" Tenko asks.

"I believe it was when our camera took its first picture. The one showing Rantaro moving the hidden bookcase. There has to be a reason that he noticed the camera, though..." Saihara trails off. God, people are stupid! It's because of the flash, right?