Back To Reality

"Des!" Ale shouts from the taxi.

"What?!" I slowly turn around and give him an innocent smile, knowing exactly what set him off. He just rolled his eyes at my fake act.

"Get your ass back here and help unpack!" He demands.

"Okay, okay. Just let me use the bathroom." I said turning around back to the front door as I pulled out a new fresh set of keys to our new house.

The house looked beautiful, I had to admit. The outside shown a maroon brick house, with a victiorian vibe to it. I'm sure the inside had beautiful big mirrors like all victiorian houses have. There was a big porch in the front with two small chairs and a round table in between them. The door was tall, with a big circular window at the very top of it. However, I was too short to see through it. Everything about this house seemed big compared to me.

Big house, big windows, big doors--or should I say wide and tall doors?

My brother informed me of a small shelter in the back, but it was only for emergencies and I wasn't allowed in it. Shocker, my brother is bossy again.

I hesitated.

What happened to our old house? I questioned. Is it bad that I'm thinking of seeing it again? My questions were never answered about the wooden stakes. Like why would they have those for protection out of all of the things in the world? It didn't make any sense to me. Nothing did anymore.

And how in hell are we able to get a house like this? My brother had some lame job back in Chicago, he was an Uber driver. Like I said, it didn't make any sense to me.

My fingers grazed the chain of my necklace Noah gave me as I was deep in thought.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when my phone went off. Telling me I received a message. I looked at my phone to see it was my brother. I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Seriously? He's literally feet away from me.

Stop staring at the door and get your ass over here!
-Ale

Slowly, I turn around. And mouth, 'Jerk'. He let out a stiff laugh and continued to unload the taxi.

○○○

"Aren't you gonna go see your friends? They probably miss you like hell." Ale tells me as he rests on the couch. It was now nearing night time. We have been busy all day.

Unpacking and getting things needed for our house we didn't have yet. Plus we made a quick stop to the grocery store. The whole time my brother and I hid ourselves wearing hoodies and sunglasses. Neither of us wanted to be recognized. If we were, people would ask too many questions and say too many things we heard and know all too well.

Are you okay?

I'm so sorry for your loss.

They're in a better place.

It'll get better.

Blah blah blah...I don't give a shit. They're gone and that's that. No need to relive that again.

I shrug off the thought and give him one of my best grins, "Already dying to get rid of me?"

"Dreading." He fires back, returning the obnoxious face.

I roll my eyes, "They have a life, meaning they're probably busy. I'll text them tomorrow or something." If we're being honest here, I just didn't want to deal with them. I loved them to death and I did miss my friends, but I feel like they'll be the same as everyone else.