Changes

A lot has changed from that night. The night my parents were murdered. The case is still a mystery to this day who killed them. Knowing my brother, I feel like he had some idea on who it was. He's one of those people who always seem to have their own opinion on something. But of course he wouldn't tell me. We haven't talked about that night, only to the police and investigators. Besides that, not one word was said. We both shut down for awhile after everything.

I didn't like dealing with things anymore. Facing my problems head on didn't feel right. I don't even want to begin to ask questions about that night. I'd rather write things down for myself—like in a diary form I guess. But I just wanted to be numb to everything already. My brother had suggested therapy to me, but I couldn't bring myself to go. If I talked about everything, I'd just cry and I fear I'd never stop.

Alejandro is a different person than he was before, much like me but in different ways. He dropped out of college and is now my guardian. He doesn't drink, he doesn't party, he doesn't leave me alone with his friends, he's doesn't do the stuff he used to. It's kind of sad if you think about it. He blames everything from that night on himself. He said if we never got home late 'cause he wanted to party, then they wouldn't have died. Which is stupid logic, I know. But like I said, he's one of those guys. I would and could tell him over and over to stop blaming it on himself. No luck.

That brings things to me—how have I changed, you may ask? In more straight forward ways/words, I've resulted to drinking. Drinking takes the pain away—temporarily of course. I haven't tried drugs yet, drinking helps for now. And yes, yeah, I know it isn't the best way to go about things, but I'll live.

I drink to forget but I always remember. I'm basically my older version of my brother. Except I don't sleep around with others like he used to—because I did found someone.

Noah Ryder.

When my brother and I had decided to escape Mystic Falls, he decided on Chicago being our new home. Which is where I met Noah.

Noah kinda made me into who I am. He showed me how to let loose and to remember there's still value to life even if you lose those closest to you. Noah's parents are divorced and treat him like he isn't their own. But he doesn't let that stop him from being him. That's the way I fell in love with him, his optimism always made me genuinely happier.

Besides him, I met other people in Chicago, since I abandoned by old ones in Mystic Falls. I met a few people that I have grown close to.

I met Adam, Izellah, and Michael. Ale(Alejandro) doesn't really like them. He thinks they're a bad influence on me, just like Noah. Which doesn't really make sense when it's my brother who introduced them to me.. I guess he just didn't realize his friend would fall in love with his sister.

Speaking of my Chicago friends, I'm going to have to abandon them too. All because I'm being forced to move back to Mystic Falls. It doesn't make any sense to me that I moved to Chicago to make friends and fall in love, only to have to move back to Mystic Falls. Complete and utter bull.

What broke my heart the most was leaving Noah. I knew better than to put myself through another long-distance relationship. It would've never worked out with him in Chicago and me in Mystic Falls. So I had to make the heartbreaking decision to end things.

Our good-bye was sad, but as he always does—he made the best out of it and he gave me a necklace. It was a locket in the shape of an arrow head. Inside the locker held a flower I didn't really know much about, but he knew I loved receiving flowers—so of course it made me happy.

My Mystic Falls friends don't even know I'm on my way back.

Maybe this was a good thing?

I wasn't there for my best friend Elena when her parents too died. That same week mine died. What a horrible coincidence. They went off Wickery Bridge in a car crash. Terribly tragic.

I couldn't be there for her. I had to be with my brother. I, too, had to deal with my own loss. My heart still ached at the sight and memory of my parents lying dead on the floor.

But oh well. Here I am, in a taxi in Mystic Falls, on my way to my brother and I's new house.

Ale looked deep in thought as he stared out the window with ear buds in his ears with loud music playing. Loud enough for me to hear what song it was. I turned away and sighed. How to save a life, by The Fray.

Mystic Falls, here I come, I thought as a chill ran up my spine.