Part 3

I was looking forward to the party evening, I admit. It's silly to lie 'cause there was no way I could deny the fact that I wanted to see Alex. He was the main thing on my mind all these days even though I've vainly tried to distract myself.

That was stupid, right. I've read too many books with similar scenarios and I didn't want to be one of those stereotypes. But, unfortunately, I was.

It's one of those things that you don't really choose for yourself. You know, it's always so exciting at the beginning. First glances, first touches, first hopes even though everything what happens next leads to nothing, but the deflation of dreams. Simple, yet a little sad.

But I couldn't help my feelings and there I was standing at the front door of a huge weirdly shaped modern-style house feeling nervous as hell. There were a lot of people who were sitting on the white minimalist coaches or standing with wine glasses in their hands and talking. Something from the 50s was playing in the house unobtrusively being mellifluous at the same time.

I wondered if I got in another time. Some weird mix of past decades and far future. The atmosphere was so minimalist, calm and white with so much space that I felt myself complicated compared with that simplicity around.

It was a cold February evening so the lights were on and I could see all the big house almost perfectly. All the first floor was like one huge room with a bunch of corners and niches. I wondered if it was comfortable to live here. Being a little bit of a loner I've always preferred my small but cosy apartment.

I was observing the house when I spot Matt who was talking to some people waving at me. I waved back awkwardly and made my way to him trying to find one more familiar figure. But luckily or unfortunately there was no sign of it.

'Lili, I'm really glad you came' Matt's genuine smile spread across his face when I reached him. I couldn't keep mine and smiled back.

'You invited so I came' I answered in a low voice like some pathos phrase from Tarantino movies. Matt laughed kindly.

'I like your mood today' he said. 'By the way, meet Jules. He is the host of the party, a great artist and an interesting person at the same time' Matt pointed playfully on the tall silver-haired man in a colourful shirt beside him.

'Yeah, but that's not all about me' the man said laughing and giving me his hand for a handshake. His green bright eyes and attracting features were saying that he had an open and creative personality which I liked at first sight. 'My pleasure, Lili' Jules nodded shaking my hand 'I'll prevent your question and answer. Yes, my hair is silver and yes, I dyed it 'cause it fits me. I am an artist for God's sake' his eyes giggled at me and I heard Matt laughing.

'How did you know I was going to ask that?' I smiled again with a look of curiosity on my face. The conversation was so smooth and relaxing somehow.

'Oh, believe me. I have an experience' Jules answered with a fake annoyance in his voice. 'So, Lili. With my friend here we were discussing last century's artists and there was Edward Hopper on our minds. We both agreed that he was one of the best of his time and style. Do you agree on it?' it was so casual for them to discuss that kind of things that I caught myself a little lost.

'Oh yeah, I mean with his urban and rural scenes Hopper had his own vision of American life' I finally stated seeing pleased looks on both faces of my interlocutors.

'Oh, I like it' Jules admitted. Matt nodded with a usual inviting smile on his lips. 'Take a glass of wine and let's see what else you know' my new silver-haired friend handed me a glass of white semisweet whine and there was no way we could stop our conversation.

I was really enjoying the evening. We were discussing old-fashioned clothes, 90's movies, music, artists and books. Jules, Matt and their friends were different kind of people from the ones I used to know. What else to say? I was a nerd in those things and I liked being in this atmosphere. The only thing that refused to leave my mind was Alex.