Part 7

If God is a trickster, can we say that life is just an old bad trick? I didn't believe in God but the theory of life as a twist was the only explanation to all the unbelievable things that I have felt and done since I've met Alex. All of it had to become even worse just because of one simple phrase.

"I was thinking of you" was spinning in my head endlessly like an obsessive advertisement that you've accidentally seen on TV. It followed me everywhere. And even on the way to my work the next day after Alex's visit, I couldn't stop myself from recreating these words in my head in millions of shades possible.

Walking down the busy morning street felt more pleasant than it usually was which was obviously caused by the good mood of mine and the fresh February air. People looked gloomy but I didn't care. Today, for the first time in forever, I was a little excited to go to my work and it seemed to me that February wasn't as bad idea as I thought a few days ago. Who needs spring when you have such a nice winter morning?

'Good morning, Tina' I pronounced in the most careless way possible opening a glass door of a florist shop and feeling a desire to be nice today. What a morning.

'Wow, what's wrong with your face, Lili? I see you smiling' a blonde girl called Tina grinned at me holding a fresh bouquet of pink roses obviously ready for the day.

She was a nice colleague but we weren't really friends just because I wasn't a very open person and Tina was the opposite. She was funny enough and pretty like the girls from the retro posters. Always dressed in cute dresses and denim overalls followed by a sly strawberry smile. She liked to say that she was "experienced in love as hell". I never understood where she got all that experience, though.

'Yeah, kind of' I mumbled a little awkwardly suddenly feeling ashamed of such a good mood of mine. Tina was the one who wanted to know everything and I knew that she would ask, ask and ask.

'So, take the new blue hydrangeas and make the bouquets. We have a huge wedding order' she smiled at me smelling the roses in her hands as I put my stuff on a table and took the hydrangeas choosing the best-looking ones.

Tina was a much better worker than me. She loved flowers and never skipped the work while I was always in hurry to go home to my typewriter. Last two months the typewriter has become a painful thought in my head but I couldn't enjoy being at work as much as she did. I assume, I never will.

'I didn't think people could use hydrangeas for a wedding. Usually, there are roses or peonies' I said to myself but more like to Tina. It just felt like having a small chat and it didn't matter what topic it was. Or, maybe, it did?

'I wonder why. I would choose chamomiles. They are simple but that is the point. No pathos for such an important occasion' Tina answered dreamingly checking out the perfection of fresh flowers that were brought here in the early morning for million's time. 'But whatever. Let's concentrate on your good mood today. What is it, Lili?' she narrowed her eyes at me with a playful smile on her lips. This girl was really funny.

'It's nothing' I said trying to hide my smile in the last attempt to stop Tina from asking me questions.

'Of course' she snorted sarcastically. 'Tell me everything' the excitement lightened her green eyes and I couldn't resist. A little revelation never hurt nobody, right?

'Well, there actually might be someone' I answered indifferently trying to act cool but the blush has already painted my cheeks.

'Who is the lucky one?' Tina asked with a strawberry smirk.

'I don't think that he considers himself lucky too much' my smile went out immediately and I sighed heavily touching the sea blue petals of the hydrangeas. They felt unbelievably tender under my fingers and it somehow reminded me of Alex's touch. What did he think at that moment? Was his heart racing as much as mine or it meant nothing?