Part 16

Have you ever thought of simple things as the reasons of your beautiful existence? Have you ever felt that a single detail can make you the happiest person alive? Have you considered something undistinguished as a sense of everything? Talking about me, actually, I don't think I ever have.

That's the problem which I found not soon enough to solve it. It happened that in my life I always noticed only what I wanted to notice. I was convinced that the core of the things is a key to the real truth while the important pieces of it were slipping through my fingers. However, it appeared to be that you always need a careful look at everything to see a completed picture.

I was thinking about it staying in front of Alex in the living room and looking into his eyes. Oh, how badly I loved his torturous dark eyes! He hurt me. It was a core of the problem. And the glance of his was just a detail but such a beautiful detail! It gave me a desire to live that life that evening and I was sure how to prove Alex what I said. Unfortunately or luckily, the destiny didn't allow it to happen.

The doorbell woke up both of us. Me on the threshold of the important move and Alex in the patient anticipation of it. First few seconds we didn't move looking at each other as if waiting for it to be over or appear to be unreal. But it was ringing again and again irritatingly not leaving a chance to pretend it wasn't heard.

Alex gave up the first sighing heavily and giving me an almost apologetic look. He made his way to the door without any eagerness and I turned around to follow his moves. I wanted to see who was the causer of such an improper cut of our play.

'Hey, Alex, I just forgot my phone here...' a soft melodic voice started talking when Alex opened the door and my heart dropped a little.

Of course. It was the woman he was talking about on threshold of his house with a perfect excuse to come back. Was she even planning to take the phone and go or convince him to stay?

'That's a pleasant comeback' Alex answered as if the situation with me standing not far away was completely normal. I was always impressed how he could easily act in every situation. But today I could hear an impatient note in his voice and it made his response sound rather feigned.

The woman had a black raven hair and cunning glance which reminded me of Cassie. Though, her nude lips and brown eyeshadows which complimented her hazelnut eyes were way too classic. It was giving me an impression she was more like Janet. But the way she was standing and looking at Alex not paying attention to my presence told me she was a way more complicated type.

'Meet Lili. She is my unexpected guest today' he added in a smooth voice after a small pause making me slightly uncomfortable. Alex's glance made his way to mine as if trying to help me to get through the moment. Unexpectedly.

'Well, it's a pleasure to meet Alex's friends. I'm Karla' she smiled deliciously but sent her expression to Alex throwing me a brief look. What, "friends"? Yeah, that's accurate!

'Nice to meet you too' I said quietly raising my chin a little. What a lie.

'Anyway' Alex smoothly dropped the topic. 'Where did you leave your phone? I'll go and get it for you'.

'Uh... I assume it's in the living room... Or kitchen where we had dinner' Karla answered almost dreamily pushing the lock of her black hair behind her ear. Her eyes with long lashes seduced Alex with an expressive flash and she stepped a bit closer in his direction. Woah, that's something. Or was it specially for me to watch?

'OK, wait a minute' Alex said not really affected by her gestures and went to find Karla's phone. We were left alone looking at each other uneasily. Damn.

'So, are you leaving already or staying? I have a taxi waiting for me so we could share it' Karla told me all of a sudden watching me carefully and studying my face. I had to admit, it was a very creative way to find out what she wanted. Boldly but not too suspiciously.