Chapter 3: Hate

“It’s like the never ending pile of boxes,” I groaned. I was currently lying flat on my back on the not-so-clean floor of the kitchen. Ivy was sitting on the one and only chair of the dining room table that wasn’t coated with dust or filled with junk. The house looked awful. I thought if we unpacked it would start to get better, but no. Opening and emptying the neatly organized boxes just made the place look cluttered and dirty. Not to mention, it made it look like a lot more work needed to be done than we originally thought.

“I never even knew we had this much stuff,” Ivy said, sounding slightly dazed.

“I wish I could just skip to next weekend, ‘cause by then the house should be finished.” I closed my eyes and relaxed. I was so tired. All I wanted to do was take a nap. The floor wasn't exactly comfy, but my bed felt too far away.

The front door opened and shut, then someone called, “Girls? You there?”

“In here,” we called tiredly.

“Where exactly is ‘here’?” Dad asked, his voice tinged with amusement.

Neither of us answered. We were too tired. Besides, he'd find us eventually.

“Whoa, what happened to you guys?” Dad asked, finally entering the kitchen.

He was still in his suit, but his tie was loose and he looked rumpled. His brown hair was cut short and was sticking up all over the place, while his green eyes looked us over with amusement.

“Boxes,” I moaned.

“So many boxes!” Ivy whined pitifully.

“I can see that,” he said, his eyes sweeping across the room as he took in the empty boxes, stray packing peanuts, plates, cutlery and a zillion other things strewn hazardously across all available surfaces.

“Did you guys eat yet?”

“Ordered. Pizza.” I was too tired to form coherent phrases.

“Leftover. Fridge.” Ivy said, lifting one pale hand to gesture vaguely in the direction of the fridge.

“I. Microwave. Leftover.” Dad said in a robot voice, mocking us.

“Ehh,” was all I could manage.

Dad stepped carefully over me and other stray objects till he reached the fridge.

“Does the microwave work?”

“Yee,” I mumbled, curling into a ball on my side, closing my eyes.

“I hope you know, if you two fall asleep in the kitchen, I’m not carrying you guys up to bed. I’m too old for that,” he said as I heard the microwave door open and shut.

With a groan I pulled myself upright and waited for my vision to clear.

“I see spots,” I said dazedly. Definitely overdid it with the unpacking today. Urg.

“Don’t go into the light, Lila!” Ivy cracked.

“But it’s so beautiful!”

Ivy and I dissolved into giggles.

“That’s it. No more 'Bug’s Life' for you two," Dad said, shaking his head at us.

“But we loooooooooove that movie!” We said in usion, which made us giggle harder.

“You guys have lost it. I’m taking my pizza and I’m going to the living room, since you guys are either drunk or have gone insane,” he said, and true to his word, grabbed his pizza and left Ivy and I giggling to ourselves.