Chapter 5: Not Human

“Lila?”

“Mmm?”

“Wake up,” said a voice in my ear.

Cracking one eye open, I was suddenly eyeball to eyeball with Wyatt. I was so frightened that I jerked backwards...right off the side of my bed.

“How did you- where are- why were you-”

Contrary to my flustered self, Wyatt looked like the picture of relaxation, staring at me with great amusement. I struggled to untangle myself from my comforter and when I finally managed it, I pointed a shaking finger at him.

“What are you doing here?” 

“You passed out so I carried you home,” he explained, sitting back on my computer chair as if he'd done it a million times.

“Why are you in my room?”

His eyebrow arched. “I wasn’t just going to leave you passed out by yourself on a street corner. I was waiting for you to wake up to see if you were okay.”

“My sister is home,” I seethed.

“Actually, she isn't. She left a note on the fridge saying she was staying at Claire’s house tonight."

“How do you know where I live?”

He blinked in surprise.

Wyatt."

“I believe it’s time for me to go home,” he said abruptly, picking up his jacket from the back of my chair.

I ran past him, slamming my bedroom door shut with my hand before pressing my back firmly against it, a human obstacle. “You are not leaving until you answer my question.”

“What question?” he asked, looking innocent as he pulled his jacket on.

“How did you know where I lived?” I growled, “And don’t you dare think about lying to me. I’ve had it up to here with people not telling me anything or lying to me,” I said, holding my hand well above my head to illustrate my point.

He sighed, suddenly looking miserable as he turned his gaze to his shuffling feet. “You don’t want to hear it.”

“Oh, yes I do.”

“No, you don’t.”

“Wyatt, I swear to God, tell me now,” I said, my voice edging on anger even though I was well past anger. That sweet scent from school burned in my nostrils.

“Lila, calm down. You don’t realize how dangerous this is, how important it is that you calm down,” he said, his silver eyes wide as he raised his hands in surrender.

“Don’t tell me to calm down!” I shouted, feeling my whole figure trembling with fury and fright. Was he stalking me? “Just tell me how you knew where I lived!”

“I followed your scent!” he said, grabbing my upper arms roughly. “I found your scent and followed it here.” His eyes were wild, his voice desperate.

I stared at him, not understanding. My fury calmed slightly at his ridiculous response. “What are you talking about?”

He laughed, but it wasn’t a nice laugh. It was bitter and made the hair on my arms stand up.

“I’m not human, Lila. You must have guessed that something was off about me by now,” he said, shaking his head in disbelief.

“You’re crazy,” I said.

They aren’t good people, Lila. It’d be best for you to stay away from them.

I understood what they meant now.