Chapter 36: Winning

Lila Silver please come see Mr. Tanner

In room C-248 as soon as possible.

Thank you.

I stared at the small, handwritten note in the corner of the page. A girl named Natalie had gotten in and was now singing in the Christmas Show…but Mr. Tanner, one of the teachers organizing the show, wanted to see me and I had no clue why.

Apparently, I was going to find out. With a sigh, I bid farewell to my pack and headed off to find room C-248. My lip was still busted up from Saturday, mainly because I couldn’t stop biting it. I never realized how much I actually bit my lip until I busted it so bad that it hurt every time I did. At least it was almost healed, hopefully it would be healed back to normal by tomorrow.

I found the room in the Arts section of the school, and knocked cautiously on the door. The door opened and Mr. Tanner, a man with graying hair, opened the door.

“Hello, Lila,” he said, flashing me a warm smile as he invited me into his classroom. He closed the door behind me and made his way to the front of the class, pulling himself up on his desk where he sat.

“Hi, sir,” I said nervously, resisting the urge to bite my lip again and instead put my hand behind my back, beginning to tug anxiously on a strand of hair, twisting around my fingertips.

“I’m sure you’re wondering why you’re here,” he began and I resisted the urge to snort. Talk about pointing out the obvious.

“And I just wanted to tell you that I was very amazed at your audition,” he continued, “And as a matter of fact, your amazing singing is what made me decide not to give you the part.”

I blinked. That was strange. Did he seriously want to talk about the reasons why he didn’t pick me? I didn’t particularly care considering it was a part of a deal with Wyatt.

“Okay,” I said uncertainly, giving him a weird look.

He chuckled, “It sounds a bit backwards but the reason I didn’t give you that part is because another one of our singers has to have her tonsils removed over the holiday and she won’t be able to sing in time for the show.”

"Okay..."

He grinned, “That means, that if you still want, you can take that girl’s place instead.”

I mulled this over for a moment, letting it sink in. If I declined then I’d have to kiss Wyatt…somewhere…for five minutes. But if I accepted he’d have to do anything I asked.

“I’ll do it,” I grinned after a moment.

“Perfect!” he clapped his hands together. “You’ll be doing the song 'Last Christmas' with one of our other students.”

“Like a duet?” I asked.

He chuckled, “No. I meant that you’ll have another student playing guitar while you sing.”

“Oh.” I flushed, “Well that sounds cool.”

For the next five minutes he explained to me how many times we’d perform the show, on what nights, what times and for how long I'd have to be at school on those days. He then told me that I’d have to miss a couple of classes, but that’d he’d give me the schedule for it after Christmas Break. The whole first week of school after vacation was going to be practicing. On the Thursday and Friday we’d perform three times during the school day for students and once on Thursday and once on Friday night.

It all sounded kind of…exciting. I’d never been in a school show or anything before, so this was definitely going to be a new experience for me.