Chapter 16: Just A Nightmare

At six o’clock in the morning, I woke up. My body had gotten used to waking early so I hadn’t needed an alarm to get up. I tried to stretch, but my arms were pinned to my sides by something heavy. I panicked, my eyes flashing open as I tried to wiggle free.                           

I realized then that Matt was still holding me, he was sleeping and breathing deeply, but his arms were still wrapped around me tightly. I took deep breaths as I tried to calm myself down.

The nightmare I had didn’t help to cease my panic, but after a few moments I finally calmed down enough to poke Matt awake.

“Matt!” I hissed, poking him in stomach awkwardly since my arms were glued to my sides.

“Whaa?” Matt answered groggily, his eyes opening partway as he yawned.

“Matt, can you let go of me?” I asked, trying to keep voice from shaking.

“Oh, sorry,” he mumbled letting me go. I inhaled as deeply as I could now that his arms weren’t crushing my ribs. I closed my eyes and just lay on my back, breathing.

“Are you alright?” Matt whispered.

“I’m fine,” I said, rubbing my eyes. “I’m just tired.”

“Then go back to sleep, we still have like two hours before we have to get up for school,” he said, and I nodded in agreement. I could skip one day of jogging. It wasn't like it would kill me to bail on exercise.

I curled into a ball against Matt and he reached down to pull the covers up and over me, wrapping one arm around me again. I lay my head on his chest, listening to his heart beating steadily. His large hands started stroking my hair and my eyelids drooped.

It wasn’t long before I was out again.

********

I sighed as I looked in the mirror, wishing I had taken my dad’s offer of staying home from school today.

My eyes were bloodshot and swollen, dark bruises hung under them, highlighting their hideous appearance. My face was still pale and my hair was a bird nest. The few cuts I had on my face stung a bit when I washed my face, but they didn’t bleed anymore.

That particular day I had decided to dress according to my mood; black jeans, black hoodie, and I once again left my hair down (after I attempted to tame it…ATTEMPTED being the key word. I failed miserably so my hair was still wild and all over the place) just so I could hide my swollen eyes and cut up face.

I had been the last person to get ready for school out of my pack (Matt had let me sleep for as long as possible, which I was extremely grateful for), so I headed out of the bathroom, and out of my bedroom.

I didn’t feel hungry so I simply brushed my teeth and we all left together. Instead of taking the bus though, Matt and Jared had brought their cars (they weren’t allowed to drive alone, even though they were pretty good drivers. But, it was an emergency so they figured it was alright) so Ivy and I went in Matt’s car, while Dakota and Mirah went with Jared.

Nobody said a word the whole morning, and I was happy with that. I didn’t feel like socializing, and once again wished to stay home. I knew a whole bunch of people were either going to come and ask me what happened, or talk about it behind my back and give me looks when they thought I wasn’t looking.

I sincerely hoped for the latter. That way I wouldn’t have to talk to anyone.

When we got to school, my pack and Ivy stayed with me as if they were my bodyguards. I didn’t like the feeling, so I told them I was alright and for them to start getting ready for class. They were all a little uncertain about that, but I finally managed to convince them and they all left.