Chapter 7: Who You Are

“No!” I refused to believe it. When Wyatt had been at my house earlier this week maybe I would have, but now I understood what he was talking about.

“It’s true,” Matt protested, anger clear in his eyes.

“How do you know?” I said, standing up. Fury gave me a sudden rush of energy and I suddenly felt agitated, restless.

“Because they’re vampires and vampires suck people’s blood!” he said, also standing up.

I laughed bitterly. “Don’t be so narrow minded, Matt. Anyone human could have drained someone’s blood.”

“So what? You’re defending Wyatt now? You don't even know him!” he said, stomping over to me, looking just as annoyed and unsettled as I felt.

“No!” I protested. As much as I hated to admit it, he was right. I didn't know him. But it wasn't like I really knew Matt and the others very well either. I took a breath to steady my irritation, but my tone was still clipped and cold. “Look, you're right. I don't know him. That much is true. But that's also my whole point; it’s unfair to assume something about someone when you don’t have all the facts. I don't know who he is or any history you may have with him, nor do I have any proof. Until the time comes that I do, I'm not going to assume he's guilty just because one small factor may or may not link back to these murders.”

Matt opened his mouth to argue, but he shut it quickly. He opened his mouth again before shutting it once more. He had no answer to that.

“Exactly," I said, crossing my arms over my chest in defiance.

Jared let out a low whistle, “I think Lila got her Alpha position down.”

“A-Alpha?” I sputtered, all my irritation gone, replaced by shock and nerves. Alpha? That sounded a whole lot like leadership, like responsibility, that I was so not suited for.

Jared’s eyes widened and he flushed. “Oops.”

“What is he talking about?” I asked, throwing my question out to everyone and anyone.

“Well, we had hoped to let you get used to the idea of being a werewolf first,” Matt said, throwing a glare in Jared’s direction.

“And then slowly introduce you into your…leadership…I guess you can call it,” Dakota added.

“But obviously, Jared just blew the surprise,” Mirah said, piping up.

“It’s not my fault!” Jared whined. “I told you guys already, you can’t tell me secrets!”

Mirah groaned, shaking her head at him. “Boys,” she muttered darkly.

“Is there anything else I need to know? Or can I have my five minute freak out time?” I said, looking at each one of their faces and bracing myself for the worst.

Matt thought for a moment and then shook his head. “Nope, I think that’s it.”

“Good,” I said, picking up a pillow from the couch, “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to start freaking out now.” I walked calmly out of the living room and into the kitchen, where I took a deep breath then I slammed the pillow into my face and screamed into the pillow. I screamed for a good five minutes before I finally felt composed enough to return to the living room.

“What was that noise?” Jared asked, laughing hysterically.

“That was me freaking out,” I said, calmly sitting down on the couch and replacing the pillow.

“Jeez, you’re face is all red,” Mirah said, staring at me like I had three heads.

“I had a pillow stuck to my face while screaming, so it’s not really surprising.”