Chapter 20: Not Going Anywhere

I squeezed my eyes shut tightly against the sunlight shining on my face, and buried my face even further into something that was hard and slightly warm.

“Goodmorning,” someone chuckled. I stiffened, sitting up abruptly. My eyes flashed open and I saw Wyatt lying flat on his back, his brown hair all messy and incredibly sexy.

“Um…” was all I could say. “Hi?”

Wyatt grinned, “Not much of a morning person, are you?”

I shook my head slightly, putting a hand to my head. “How long did we sleep?”

Wyatt shrugged, glancing behind me at my alarm clock. “We went to bed at roughly 9 o’clock, and it’s 10 o’clock now….”

“Holy crap! I slept a lot,” I said, surprised. I felt well-rested, but also incredibly lazy. I flopped back down onto my back, not really in the mood to leave the warmth and comfort of my bed.

“Did you…” Wyatt paused, and I turned my head to glance at him.

“No, I didn’t,” I said, smiling. I didn’t have a nightmare!

“Good,” he said, yawning as he stretched out his whole body. He relaxed back onto the bed again, looking at me sleepily. “You hungry?”

My stomach growled and Wyatt chuckled again. “That answers my question," he said, sitting up and starting to slide out of bed.

My hand shot out and grabbed his wrist. “Where are you going?” I asked, starting to panic. Wyatt turned and sat back down.

“Your dad’s not home and Ivy went to Claire’s house, so I’m going downstairs to make something to eat,” he said softly, gently prying my fingers from his arm. He flipped my hand over so it was palm up, and he kissed my wrist.

My heart started to pound, “Oh,” I breathed. Wyatt pulled away, gently placing my hand back on the bed. He smiled at me before disappearing out of my bedroom door.

I wanted to go downstairs and watch him cook, but I was too tired to move out of my bed. So I slid awkwardly towards the side of the bed that Wyatt had been sleeping on, and curled into a ball, inhaling his scent deeply though my nose.

“Mmmmm,” I hummed, loving his scent. I closed my eyes, and with Wyatt’s scent in my nose, I fell asleep.

I opened my eyes, and my bedroom was gone. I was in the cave again. And that man, boy, what ever, was there. He was sitting across the fire, cross legged with his knife on his lap. There was blood on it, I saw it glinting in the light of the fire. He was slowly cleaning it, wiping the rag up and down the blade. I watched him from my place on the other side of the fire. His dark hair fell into his eyes as he bent over, still wiping his knife.

Suddenly he looked up, dropping the bloody rag beside him as he stood. I watched him as he walked slowly around the fire. I realized my hands were chained above my head to the rocky wall behind me.

He made his way closer and closer, his expression unreadable. He stopped when he stood in front of me, then he crouched down low so we were almost at eye level. He held his knife up to my throat and with a wicked grin, his eyes flashed completely black.

“You’re next," he purred, drawing his arm back, knife in hand. I couldn’t move, I couldn't breathe. I was locked in place, hypnotized by his black eyes like a mouse paralyzed by the gaze of the snake. Predator and prey.

His arm suddenly flew forward, and a scream burst through my lips.

“Lila!” someone shouted, but it sounded far away, almost like an echo. But that shout made the boy disappear. I was plunged in blackness, but still those two shiny black eyes stared at me through the darkness.