Chapter 18: Grilled Cheese

“Lila,” someone whispered. I groaned, pressing my face firmly in my pillow. There was a chuckle and then  “Lila, wake up.”

I opened my eyes groggily, and found that I wasn’t actually lying on a pillow, it was Wyatt’s chest.

Awkward.

I pulled away from his arms and rubbed my eyes, slightly disoriented until it all came rushing back. Couldn’t sleep, went for a jog, scent of blood, black eyes, Sandra’s body, police officers. Right.

“Are you guys going to get out or what?” the cop asked, annoyed.

Wyatt slid out of the car and I slid out after him. The officer said he’d be back in an hour before he took off, driving quickly down the street.

“Come on, you need a hot shower,” Wyatt said, taking my hand and leading me up the steps of an unfamiliar house.

“Where am I?” I asked, looking around as I tried to figure out where I was.

“My house.” He let go of my hand long enough to unlock the door, and took it again to pull me in behind him.

“Uh…I thought I was going to my house to shower and change,” I said, looking around uneasily, “In case you haven’t noticed I don’t have a change of clothes.”

Wyatt stood back, scrutinizing me for a moment, “It appears you’re right,” he said, sheepishly. “I guess you’ll have to borrow my clothes."

My eyes flew open despite my exhaustion, “No!”

Wyatt smirked at me, “You don’t really have any other choice unless you rather wear your sweaty clothes or go to school naked. My mom's clothes will be too big for you and I don't think she'd appreciate them going missing."

I growled at him. He had a point.

He chuckled at my expression, “Come on,” he said, taking my hand again, “You can take a shower while I make you something to eat.”

Shower? In Wyatt’s house? Where Wyatt probably showers? Naked?

I felt myself start to hyperventilate, shoving the mental image out of my mind.

“You okay?” he asked, turning his head to peer at me as we walked through his house. “You look kind of pale.”

"I’ve had nightmares for the past week and woke up early to go for a nice relaxing jog and instead find a dead body and have something watch me from the bushes. I’m just peachy."

Wyatt shook his head at me, “You are totally moody,” he muttered.

“I am not!” I snapped, yanking my hand out of his. If anyone had a right to be unpleasant right now it was me damn it. I had been through the ringer for a week and I was dead tired. I had every right to be as 'moody' as I wanted.

“Sure,” he said, walking up a set of stairs. I growled before following him up the stairs and down the hall. He opened a door and stood back, letting me walk through it first. I didn’t even glance at him as I entered his room. He closed the door behind us and brushed past me, making his way to a dresser.

He started opening drawers, pulling out a pair of jeans and a shirt before holding them out to me. “The shower is through that door,” he said, pointing to a closed door near his bed. “And here are some clothes. They might be a bit big on you but I’m afraid it’s all I have.”

I sighed, rubbing my eyes. “Thank you.”

He smiled at me, his silver eyes lighting up a bit, “No problem. You might want to hurry up though. I'm gonna get cracking on breakfast while you clean up and I doubt you want cold food."