Chapter 14: Treasure Hunt

“With the taste of your lips I'm on a ride. You're toxic I'm slippin' under. With the taste of the poison paradise, I'm addicted to you; don't you know that you're toxic? And I love what you do; don't you know that you're toxic?” I sang into my pen.

'Toxic' by A Static Lullaby was blasting through my stereo since I was home alone, as usual, and taking full advantage of my freedom. Ivy was at Claire’s house and Dad was at work. Not that I minded. I enjoyed my time to be alone; I could act like an idiot and no one would see.

I slide across my bedroom doing air guitar and singing/screaming along with the song while my homework sat on my desk, opened but untouched. I was too distracted by my solo to focus on homework right now.

“Too high; can't come down. It's in the air and it's all around. Can you feel it now?” I sang loudly with the screamo parts, feeling my throat getting dry from singing and dancing for the past hour or so.

As soon as 'Toxic' ended, I flopped onto my bed feeling absolutely exhausted. I was far too tired to do honework now. What a pity. Not.

I curled into a ball on my side while my stereo clicked off since it got to the end of my CD. I passed out quickly, but all too soon I was opening my eyes with a labored groan to greet the morning. Of course I wanted to sleep more…but I had decided yesterday to start going running. Grumbling, I rolled out of bed, wondering why I didn't think of jogging after school instead.

As I walked out the door ten minutes later, dressed and ready to run, I scrolled through my play list. Today, I felt like listening to 'Smooth' by Escape the Fate.

I set off on my jog once I hit play, and I headed down my street to the left. My mind wandered as I jogged, and I barely registered the fact that I was already jogging, half an hour later, next to the forest.

Only an overwhelming sweet scent shocked me out of my daydreams. I skidded to a halt on the sidewalk, almost falling on my butt because of the slippery ice.

I covered my nose, trying to block out the scent, but it was still there, wafting in large doses into my nostrils. I scrunched up my nose, trying to figure out what that smell was.

It was metallic, kind of like rust, but darker. A shudder ran through me as I breathed it in. There was something else, something familiar, sweet. I peered into the forest, squinting to try and see into the darkness of the trees.

There was nothing, but I couldn’t shake the sudden feeling of being watched. I shuddered again and turned around, sprinting back the way I came until the forest ended and I was back in the safety of my neighborhood.

********

The day was painfully slow, seeing as I was only at third period gym class. Today the teacher decided to change things up a bit and let us go outside…and into the forest. I couldn’t help the overwhelming wave of unease as the teacher explained with unbridled glee what we were doing.

Everyone was going to get a compass and a map, along with a list of things to find.

Yup. It was treasure hunting day.

Once the teacher explained all the rules and gave us warnings, we were all off. I zipped my coat up all the way since I knew it’d be colder in the forest, the trees blocking out most of the already fading sunlight.

I followed the large mob of girls who were all giggling and joking into the forest, then went my own way. I skimmed through the list of items and their locations, deciding to go get the one that was the furthest then slowly work my way back.