30

"Hi, Mom." I nervously bite my lip.

"Hey, Mother."

"Yo, Ma."

"What's poppin', Birth Giver."

I groan and jump back into my bed.

I've been practicing how I'm gonna talk to my mom in my mirror for the past 15 minutes.

Oh, yeah I'm meeting up with her for lunch today. So excited!!!!

Actually, I'm scared shitless. Josh isn't even coming with me, he thought it would be better if I talked to her alone.

"LUCY." Josh yells from his room.

"What?" He walks into my room a few moments later.

"Are you ready?" Josh stands behind me and lightly squeezes my shoulders.

I shake my head and my heart starts beating erratically.

My lips purse unintentionally and my eyes begin to water. "I'm really scared, Josh."

"Hey, you're gonna be okay." I turn around and bury my face in his chest.

"What if she doesn't like me? Or what if she makes me go live with her?"

"Lucy, listen to me. If she doesn't like you, she's an idiot. And I won't make you live with her if you really don't want to."

I nod and hug him tightly.

"Hey, maybe after this lunch, you may realize how much you really need mom in your life and you could want to go live with her." Josh semi-jokes.

"Yeah, we'll see about that one." I grab my phone and look myself over in the mirror one last time.

"Let's go."

I make it to the diner we are meeting at and bid Josh farewell at the door.

"Call me if you need anything."

"I will."

I walk through the door and glance around. She said she was already here and at a booth.

With another once-over, I spot the blonde skinny woman I call Mom sitting at a table near the back drinking a coffee.

I slowly walk up, pushing the nerves to the bottom of my stomach.

"Hey, Mom." I stand awkwardly in front of her.

"Oh my God, Lucy!" She stands up fast and wraps her arms around me, hugging me tightly. "You're so beautiful!"

"Thank you." We pull away and sit opposite each other.

We make the small talk you usually make with your aunt you haven't seen in years. "How have you been?" "Any new friends?" "Any boyfriends?" Except I'm talking to my mom.

"So you had a boyfriend." Mom sips her coffee.

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

She chuckles, "I'm pretty sure everyone knows about you and that Finn boy. You were in every teen magazine in every waiting room."

"Oh, yeah." I fake laugh a little bit. "He and his friends were my friends."

"When can I meet him?" Mom places her hand on top of mine.

"We're kinda not together anymore." I half smile.

"Oh no, I'm sorry, honey." Her thumb strokes circles on the back of my hand.

"It's fine. Anyway, have you had any boyfriends?" I smirk, changing the subject as quick as I could.

"Girlfriend, actually. I realized that guys suck and girls are much easier to deal with."

"Damn, Mom. Go you." Our food comes and we eat and talk about everything and nothing.

"So now that we've met up and caught up, I have something to tell you." Mom places the tip money down on the table.

My heart rate speeds up as I nod for her to continue.

"I'm moving here with my girlfriend and we want you to move in with us."