25. The nightmares of a Nightmare

|*Percy*|

The morning started as all the previous ones. I had just finished my breakfast and were on my way out to meet the guardians when I walked into someone. "Sorry I didn't see where I was..." I began but stopped as she met my eyes. Annabeth. Her eyes widened than became glassy as she began to scream. I heard sounds of swords being drawn from the pavilion, probably believing we were under attack. Gods know we've been waiting.

I panicked. My not-so-tamed-powers reaching out in my panicked state and I found myself on the deck of Argo 2. "What the...?" I began but stopped as I heard a voice. Or more exact, my voice. "I can't believe I jumped into Tartarus for you. Everything is your fault. I should have asked for someone anyone else to follow me on my first quest. Maybe someone smarter than you. Someone who's not bound by their pride. I should have stayed with Calypso. Why did I even kiss you beneath lake? It's not like I wanted..."

I turned around imminently staring into mine own eyes. Tough, not my own. I would never insult Annabeth like that. Annabeth. She was on the ground, her head in her knees, crying. I needed to stop it. She didn't deserve this.

"It's not true," I said, stepping forward, "I don't blame you for Tartarus. If anything, I wish I could have fallen alone and spared you the misery. I am glad I had you on our first quest and all those who followed, not only because I would have died without you but because you became not my girlfriend, but my best friend. A friend I could always trust to have my back, wish you had. You took a dagger for me, even knowing I had the Styx's curse. You are the smartest person I know, and I know you will create something great one day and be written down in the history of architecture. Pride might be your fatal flaw, but who am I to blame you? I would curse the world to save a friend, maybe even a stranger! If I had stayed with Calypso Kronos would have won and Leo would never have met her. Styx, we would never have met Leo, Piper, Jason, Frank, Hazel, Reyna or any of the Romans. It's a reason you were the only one I remembered when Hera/Juno took me. I don't regret kissing you under the lake, or any of the kisses that followed. I don't regret anything. I don't regret having you as a friend, or a girlfriend. What I do regret, is not realizing you were being possessed sooner!"

As the last words left my mouth the other me transformed into a Nightmare. I glared at the Nightmare as I took a threatening step forward, making him whimper. "I command you as you rightfully Lord to bow." My voice sounded inhuman, the words being fed into my mind, yet not entirely mine and the Nightmare bowed low.

"Leave," I commanded, "Find Agrios and report to him." The Nightmare didn't hesitate, disappearing in an explosion of black sand. I turned around to Annabeth who still had her head hidden behind her knees but had stopped crying.

I bowed down to her, hugging her as her shoulders began to shake. "It's okay," I whispered, "He's gone. Everything will be fine."

As I sat there, comforting Annabeth I realized three things. One, she had broken down because she was possessed by a Nightmare, not because of Tartarus. Two, I did not wish for us to get back together, rather wanting her as a friend. And three, we had been waiting for the first attack, not realizing it had already happened. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you liked it, and that it explained what happened with Annabeth.

One week until summerbreak, than I'll finnaly have time to something that's not last-minute-chapters.