FIvE

FIVE days and FOREVER

Copyright 2017/2018

-Anya Amarachi Jacinth

Day One

Day 1

------

I sat in the front seat of the car.

After some moments passed, I decided it was best to start digging into my breakfast.

I took a bite and man, was Dennis right.

His sandwich was to kill for.

Dennis began driving as I silently ate the sandwich.

The radio was turned off.

He ate his sandwich too as he drove but with his focus fully on the road ahead of us.

When I was done with eating the first of the sandwiches, I spoke.

"Umm... Thanks by the way."

He turned to me, nodded his head and looked back straight ahead.

His left hand was on the steering wheel while his right held his sandwich.

"No, I mean like... thanks. You weren't planning on going to school today but you decided to drop me off." I explained.

He looked at me again.

"Thank you... for that," I said with my voice small.

He smiled then just shrugged as he looked back at the road. "I didn't feel like staying indoors anyways."

I decided to add humour to the conversation and not make it seem choked up. "Will you stop being so modest and just accept my thanks?"

He looked at me like he didn't expect my reaction but chuckled nonetheless. "Look who's calling who modest."

I chuckled, too. "Modesty is a good thing."

"Then why are you stopping me from being it?" He asked.

I shrugged. "You asked me to stop being modest, too."

"Wrong. Frank asked you to stop being modest. But really, I was on the verge of asking, too."

I chuckled. "I wasn't being that modest." I paused because of his facial expression. "Was I?"

"No, no," He shook his head. "Not at all."

"Sarcasm," I let out a breath as I looked out the window.

He chuckled. "Did it get to you?"

I shrugged. "I'll brush it off but just know that that's strike two. When I strike..." I looked back at him. "You'd beg me."

He raked his brain and was silent for a while before he finally asked. "What was the first strike?"

I rolled my eyes. "Looks like you also have a short memory span. Do you remember back at the bus, when you kept laughing at me?"

His face suddenly lit up and he began laughing again. "No. You have to admit that that day was epic. The look you got from the whole class. Even Mrs Norman had to stop the class."

My face got red. "Could you stop?"

He surrendered. "It wasn't my fault you brought it back up." But he still held his laughter.

We fell in traffic.

I sighed with a groan as I checked the time. We had 6 minutes to go and I was sure that we were nowhere near the school.

"How far before we reach?" I asked.

"About 15 minutes." He approximated.

I rolled my eyes. "I see no point of going to school again. I hate going late for classes."

"We might still reach." He tried to keep me calm.

I remained calm and patient and decided this was the best time to finish my sandwich.

The minutes went from 6 minutes left to 3 minutes left which got me a little antsy.

"Frank's sandwiches are nice." I decided to say to keep myself at ease.

"That's the only thing I can give him credit for in cooking." He said.

"That means he sucks." I smiled.

He chuckled too then looked at me. Our eyes locked and I felt a run through of emotions.

The way his eyes focused like he was deciphering what he saw in me.

He looked away then decided to keep the conversation going. "Where do you stay?"

I took in a breath as I looked away, too. "Dan-Joint. Not so far from our school." I replied.

"It's a pretty far walk." He said.

"What about you?" I asked back so we'd at least be even.

I looked at him for his expression.

"The Willow Avenue." He said. "Not so far from your place." He smiled at me.

I smiled back and used his own words. "It's a pretty far walk. Even a way farther walk to and from school."

He chuckled then asked a different question. "Since when have you been in the school?"

"Since middle school," I said to him. "My parents are so in love with the school."

He shrugged. "I wouldn't deny the fact that it's of good standards."

I nodded, taking his word in for it. "Yeah," I said mostly to myself before asking out. "What about you? Since when have you been in the school?"

"Since last year. I came in between the term."

"Are you serious?" I had to ask.

He looked like he had been in the school since as well.

"What?" He chuckled. "I don't look it?"

I chuckled, too. "Yes," I admitted. "I expected to hear since kindergarten." I exaggerated.

He laughed this time around. "My parents aren't that committed to schools."

"Well, my parents hate changing schools," I said. "So, what school did you go to before this?"

"I'm not sure if you'd know it. Mary wool High?"

I shook my head slowly. "Never heard of it."

"Like I said." He confirmed.

"Where did you use to stay?" I asked.

"I never moved." He said.

"Oh," I said. I finally checked the time and I was 4 minutes late for school. "How long are we going to stay in this traffic?"

He sighed as he checked the time as well. "I honestly don't know."

"I don't think I can go to school again," I said. "By the time I'll arrive, they would be almost done with the first-period class. If possible, they would be in the second if the traffic doesn't go anytime soon."

"You could always miss just the first-period class. Don't worry, we would get to school before the second." He assured me.

"I rather not go to school at all," I said. "My mum wouldn't be home so I'll just make a stop."

He hesitated before saying. "You sure about this?"

I nodded. "I'm not ready to face school yet. My play still sucks, my lead dropped out for that reason–"

"Ouch," he interrupted.

"Exactly." I sighed.

"So, I'm dropping you home then." He confirmed.