SiX

FIVE days and FOREVER

Copyright 2017/2018

-Anya Amarachi Jacinth

Day One

Day 1

------

The time still ticked and we stayed in traffic longer than we had expected or planned for.

Cars horned at the inconvenience but yet, Dennis seemed unmoved by it all. I could sense it.

He wasn't paying attention to it. He seemed distracted.

I obviously knew it was because he was thinking something through thoroughly and deeply.

I could have asked but I decided to remain silent.

13 minutes later, the cars ahead of us started moving and joy cruised my heart.

Dennis started driving and the whole car was silent.

There weren't any more sandwiches to keep me occupied again.

So, I decided to use my phone instead.

As we drove, Dennis finally spoke as he slowed down the car, "Are you sure you don't want to drop off at school?"

I looked at him, a little bit still into my phone, as his question finally clicked.

I looked out the window to see the school building. The parkway was full of cars but no one seemed to be entering the building again. Checking the time, I was already 22 minutes late for my class.

I didn't have the guts to step into school by that time. I would have gotten queried.

I shook my head. "No, I'm good."

He shrugged and continued driving at his normal speed. "The way you're being so chilled about it tells me you've missed school before." He gave a side smile. "Am I right?"

I smiled too because that was true. "Well, only for good reasons."

"What do you usually do at home?"

I paused then asked. "Do you mean when I miss school or on a norms?"

He also got in thoughts then said. "Both."

"I literally just stay on my bed, plugged in as I use my phone. Typical." I said.

"Doesn't your mum say anything about it? Not going to school."

"She leaves early for work." I shrugged.

"Are you an only child?" He asked, getting more interested in facts about me.

"Well, yeah. I've lived to take my phone and the TV as my siblings." I laughed at my own joke. And he did, too. "So, what about you?" I asked after we both calmed down from laughing.

"I have an older brother." He stated. "But he's married and working."

"Wow. That's cool." I said. "Have any nieces or nephews?"

"Nephew," He then smiled. "He's turning four December."

"Awn," I cooed.

I then imagined the thought of having a niece and smiled even more.

"Don't push it." He chuckled.

"But it's adorable," I said then looked at him. He was smiling widely that even he didn't notice it.

My smile widened.

"So, what job does he do? Your brother." I asked to keep the conversation going.

"He's a rental agent for lands, houses and estates."

"Wow," I said in awe. "I would love to meet your brother."

He chuckled. "He's been a busy man since the last year of his College but maybe I could make some time out."

I looked at him and saw how serious he was about me meeting his brother. "You know I was just saying, right?"

He shrugged like it didn't really matter if I was 'just saying' or not as he kept driving and neared my street. "You said you lived in Dan-joint, right?"

I nodded as I saw my street sign. "Yeah," I said as he turned into the street. "The second house to the left is mine."

He parked his car at my house and I smiled widely at him and thanked him. "Tessekur ederim."

"What's that?" He squeezed his face.

"It's Turkish for thank you," I smiled at him.

He chuckled. "Well then, the pleasure is all mine."

My smile widened as I came down from the car. "Bye," I said to him.

He waved as I walked to my door and I searched my bag for the keys then something finally clicked in my head.

I didn't take spare keys with me yesterday because my mum stayed home throughout.

And she stayed home because my aunt and her planned to travel to see my cousin in Florida.

"Fuck," I swore as I thought of an alternative.

How could I have forgotten that?

No wonder she didn't call last night due to my absence.

I went to check under our flower pot for the spare but none was found.

So I was guessing my mum expected me to have my key with me.

I sighed.

Dennis horned and I turned to him.

He scooted to the passenger window. ''What's up?" He yelled in concern.

"I'm locked out," I replied as I turned back to look at my house.

"No spare keys?" He asked.

I shook my head.

"Well, hop on back in."

I turned to him. "What?" I chuckled. "Where do you plan on taking me to?"

He shrugged with a smile. "A one-day adventure. It's better than a wasted day. By the time we're done messing around, maybe your mum might be back."

"She travelled," I said blankly with a side smile.

"Oh," He left his mouth hanging in an 'O' shape before he finally said. "Well, that wouldn't stop the fun. Hop on in. We'd find something to do about it."

I rolled my eyes and chuckled as I walked back to the car.