Chapter 29: Lucid

"So this will allow Cisco to see into his dream?" Barry asked, addressing the two geniuses whom each stood at his side

The next day, Barry, Caitlin, and Cisco were at S.T.A.R. Labs where the speedster slipped off the glasses he was using to look up closer to check the mechanics Cisco engineered that created the special glasses he'll use to look into his dreams.

Caitlin, the brain and glue of their group recently came up with the idea herself. Of course.

"I got the idea from a journal article from on lucid dream therapy," the bio-engineer explained, "they think it can be used to help people suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder."

Cisco scoffed.

"Traumatized, stressed?" Cisco, slightly unable to grasp this whole idea himself, stepped away from the others to grab a few more tools from a nearby table. "Check and check."

"The theory is that will allow people to objectively enter their dreams and face their fears," Caitlin continued, waving her hands a little to gesture at the glasses. "Still working on the talking part."

Cisco continued working on some separate parts of the glasses, trying to hide his fear. "And you're sure this thing isn't gonna, you know, mess with my brain?"

Caitlin gave a little gasp, trying not to take it personal. "Oh, the amount of electricity required to trigger lucid dreaming is harmless. . .probably."

"Who is going be lucid dreaming?"

The trio turned heads a 180 degrees to find Wells sitting at the entrance of the cortex unnoticed. Barry glanced at his two friends, seeing he's not the only one worried about how much of their conversation he's heard.

Caitlin returned Barry's glance, looking between him and Cisco. "Um. . ." she stammered, coming up with some sort of excuse. "With all of the meta-human's in Central City, people have been seeing some strange things—things that they don't understand and it's really just a matter of time before psychological issues develop."

"And lucid dreaming will help the doctors better understand their fears," Wells finished. "Intriguing." Wells rolled towards the trio past the desk. "Of course, you still need to guide the patient from the outside, right?" Wells got closer to the glasses, observing them for himself. "Direct them to specific aspects of the dream."

"We're still working on a communications interface," Cisco added.

The trio eyed Wells with suspicion. As dangerous as he was, this side of him that willingly helps them always had everyone confused.