You're a Work of Art

"I can't remember the last time I went to midweek service" Isabelle said.

"Same sis. You know mum has been saying you have tests, stay at home and read but today ah, let me go please. I've missed choir two times and if I miss the third time I'll be thrown out" Dami said, then turning her back to Isabelle. "Please help me fix my bra strap. It's too tight"

Isabelle helped her with the strap. "Since when did that one start? Nadine never mentioned any three strike rule"

Dami scoffed. "It can't be Nadine. It's that skinny cockroach called Mfon. Small singing he thinks he's the president of the whole world." She hissed and Isabelle giggled.

"I'd like to see this same energy when you see him"

"Trust me Isabelle, I can do it. You hella know I can"

She giggled again because she knew what Dami was capable of.

"People like to over use their positions honestly" Was what she said. She couldn't wait because she knew that Josiah was going to be there. It was as if she grew excited to seeing his gentle face.

"Do you like him?" Dami asked. Smirking.

"Please don't ask me questions like that"

"Admitting the truth wouldn't kill you, Issy. You like the boy, and that's okay"

Isabelle gave a sad smile. "No one likes a heavily pregnant girl, sis"
Speaking of which, Isabelle was becoming bigger each day. She began to fill up in places she never could and she couldn't afford to sleep without having pillows for comfort. This pregnancy journey wasn't easy on her.

"I think the pregnancy excuse is getting a bit too old now don't you think? Ever since he laid eyes on you you could definitely see that he wasn't concerned. He even goes with you for your monthly checkups"

Isabelle rolled her eyes. "He did that just once, madam"

"It doesn't matter" Dami came and stood beside her. Isabelle subconsciously looked at their figures in the mirror.

"You don't know what it's like to feel this way, Dami. Whatever happens, this would never go away. I'll always be remembered for that girl that got pregnant everywhere. So if someone is nice to me I take it as pity. Look at the few people I have left"

It wasn't the time for heart break but she felt it inside her

"You don't even know how strong you are. Girl you don't live by your mistakes. You will be a great mum, don't let these idiots get to you. It's going to be fine, and I'll be with you all the way" Dami comforted.

"Are you people going to sleep in that room? My friend come downstairs for church jo." Mrs Alabi yelled from the living room downstairs and the girls scrambled to meet the rest of the family, in the midst of giggles.

***********

Mid week service was over now, just filled with members greeting themselves and trying to get home. This was where they met, in the crowd, scanning closely until their eyes met , accompanied with relieved smiles.

When she finally got to stand in front of him, she noticed the huge cardboard box in his arms.

"What's that for?" She asked, skeptic.

He looked at the brown cardboard box. "Oh, it's just a painting. Actually, I was going to hang this at the children's church, you wanna come? At least, we can talk a bit"

"Yeah sure" She replied, and they walked together down to the direction of the children's church.

"So how've you been" He asked.