Goodnight xoxo

My phone rings out into the darkness that covered my room. I ignore it the first time, simply because I wanted to. Whatever the person needed could wait until I was up. I'm not a morning person, and it being a Saturday makes it worse for me to be up before noon. Some Saturdays are my free days. Today, I have the opportunity to be off but this phone is trying to distract everything. The phone stops and I try to settle into sleep again.

Few seconds later, it rings again and most definitely I can't ignore it because it is beginning to irritate me. I reach out to the phone placed by my bedside table and check the time. 9:41am. It's mum calling.
Odumu is sleeping beside me. It's one of the weekends where he stays over. I'm not surprised that he doesn't get up because he's a deep sleeper. He can sleep through a storm. I take off his arm draped around my waist and I sit up.

"Hello mum, good morning" I say into the phone. It's kind of rowdy where she is and I suspect that they must be on evangelism.

"Morning, my love. Did I wake you up?" She says, her voice low.

"Um, kind of mum. But it's fine. Are you alright?"

"Actually, I'm in Lagos right now. I took the early morning flight and I've just landed."

The statement shocks me. Now I'm fully awake. I get out of bed and I walk straight to the window.

"What? What're you doing here? You should have told me, mum" I had a few plans this weekend but  seeing my mum was certainly not one of them

"I know, love. It's kind of last minute. I didn't decide this until last night."

"Would you need me to pick you up?"

"No, I've pre booked a taxi. It's here now so I'll see you soon my love"

After the phone call, I sigh. I noticed that Odumu is awake now and is looking at me expectantly. I go back to the bed, feeling the tiredness come over me again.

He reaches over and kisses my cheek.

"What's up, babe?"

"My mum is coming over" I say. "I didn't expect her to come."

"Oh, that's fine. I'll just get dressed and go home now"

He stands up from the bed. I feel bad because this weekend was supposed to be about us. We work at the same hospital but believe me, we don't spend as much time together. I walk over to him in the bathroom and hug him from behind.

"I'm sorry" I whisper. He places his hands over mine.

"It's not your fault, babe. If your mum needs you, you should attend to her. Don't worry, I understand." He releases my grip and faced me.

He always understands and it reminds me once again of how much I love him.

"I was really looking forward to that movie date." I admitted and he laughs.

"No, you're looking forward to a cuddle" He replies with a smirk. I roll my eyes.

"Whatever" I say even though I truly was looking forward to a cuddle. It might have to be next time then.

"I better get going now before your mother walks in to a shirtless man in your house. That wouldn't be a very pleasing sight"

When my mum arrives about an hour later, I had showered and made a Akara and Pap as breakfast. She looks worn out when I get her at the door, almost like she hasn't slept in days, judging by the eye bags. We hug at the door and I hold her tight. I've actually missed her. She kisses my cheek before she releases me.