Custody

Josiah looked out the wide windows that blared out the city of Southampton. He had graduated a long time ago but there was something about this city that made him want to stay.

"I see you have a thing for large windows" His therapist said. He turned to look at the man who had been listening to him for over a decade. Mr Julius had gotten older, wiser, more graceful, and within those years Josiah had gotten better. He visits only once in a while.

Josiah laughed. "I'm so glad you moved into this office"

"I'm glad as well. It's refreshing. So tell me, how're you feeling?"

"I've been alight. The company in Nigeria has decided to take me for Eighteen months."

Julius clapped his hands. "That's great, I told you it'll go well. But , what's eating you up?"

He sighed and let himself rewind back to three nights ago, where he and Folasade had an argument. Then, she took few of her stuff and said she needed some space. He had respected that.

"Were there any problems before then?" Julius asked, frowning.

He wouldn't know, but judging from the way she'd been acting, thoughts clogged up his mind. He proposed two months ago, in a simple way that she would have loved, and he'd never forget the tears in her eyes when she said yes, and the way her eyes sparkled.
It started after he his exhibition at the art gallery. He finally completed the drawing of his mother. His father sent him a picture of her when she was younger and he had gathered the courage to draw.
Fola helped throughout the whole process. She gave him space to draw when he needed him, she gave him encouraging words. It's what every partner would do but he had never seen anyone after his family that was so supportive of his art.

On the day of his exhibition, he had mentioned how she'd been of help and he publicly declared his love for her. She smiled but the light in her eyes dimmed. They had an argument that night. After that night, she was moody almost everyday, and feigned happiness only when she performed. Now, she performed old school jams, and mostly RnB music at a cafe every Friday. He went almost all the time because he loved it when she sang, and it felt like a spiritual experience listening to her voice.

The fateful Friday before their argument, she sang "You Give Good Love" by Whitney Houston and there was a melancholy in the was she sang those words, as if she didn't deserve the love that she was receiving. It raised questions in his heart. He raised up this issue after they got home, and she wasn't having it.

Julius was looking straight at him. He really didn't know what to say.

"Do you think she deserves it?" Julius asked. Josiah took a seat on the sofa.

"Of course she does. I wouldn't propose if I didn't even love her in the first place"

"Why would you feel she felt that way?" He finally asked.

Josiah pondered on the question. "I wouldn't know. I see it in her eyes, it's like a question she's afraid to answer. I hate to admit. but there's only one reason I think she would feel this way"

*******************

I love these life updates because it always reminds me of the fact that there is always something to write about. I do not enjoy writing in my diary as much as I did when I was younger, but it is always exciting whenever I get to write. My life may not be so boring after all.

The weight of the exam week is  pressing my body to the floor. Just two more papers, and , freedom. Till I get to see my baby. Gosh, I miss her so much, I miss her smell and I miss her eyes, and I miss her laughter and her voice. I have never been so consumed with love like I do now. But this entry, is actually a letter to my daughter. I'd love her to read through this one page, even though most of these entries are about her, but just this one, would do.