Aftermath

Sometimes, I wonder how life would be for the people around me, after my death. Would they mourn? or will they sigh and say things that they never to my face, at my funeral? I'm not feeling suicidal, but I get really curious at times, and I wonder if the world would stop after I die.

No, of course it would not? It would be silly of me to even think about that. People move on, people get over things.

In all honesty, I'm just really curious, diary.

****************

He heard about it at church. He was with James and they were talking about something work related and then everyone looked so gloomy, including the Sanctuary workers. He knew something was wrong that day but feelings like that were supposed to be ignored and kept aside, besides he did not want to give anyone the wrong idea. After his father had finished the pastors meeting with the elders in his office, Josiah walked in to inquire.

His father gave a sad sigh "It's Deacon Edache. The elders just gave me the news this morning. His daughter and grandchild had been involved in an accident"

Josiah's heart stopped for a minute and he straightened up. "Which of his daughters?"

"The younger one. They found her car along the Mabushi express way, her car had crashed into one of the street light poles. By the Grace of God, it won't be fatal. It was a Good Samaritan that rushed her to Zankli Hospital nearby"

All he could think about was looking at her yesterday and in those eyes, he saw the scared, pregnant sixteen year old who needed saving. Eight years later, and she still needed saving.

"That's terrible. What about her family members?"

"Last I heard, they're all at the hospital. You can go with some of the ladies in the women's fellowship later on. They'd need a ride anyway" his father shook his head.

He wouldn't mind taking anyone with him to just see her and know how she was faring.

***************

I think I saw you again in my dreams . The last time, I saw you but you couldn't see me, because you were so far away. I no longer know how to face you, because when you look at me , it feels like I'm stripped bare, and then I appear vulnerable under your gaze. You are the truth I've been running away from.

**************

It's been ten days now, Isabelle. You haven't made an effort to wake up. Please, we need you and Alexandra to be strong, please keep fighting.

*************

Nadine

I sat in the hospital waiting room, feeling empty and lacking any emotions. I only moved when Junior needed something. He was getting uneasy, and I understood, because it had been an inconvenience for all of us.

Odumu bursts through the entrance, and I can see him standing by the reception, probably asking. I carry Junior in my arms and I walk over to him. Just there, right in front of everyone and not giving a care about the scene we might probably be causing, he takes us both in his arms. I try so hard not to release all the emotions I've been feeling inside, I try so hard not to cry but his hug was so warm and welcoming, it was the hug I never knew I needed.

"I'm so sorry" He whispered and kissed my forehead. I walk him towards the waiting room and he takes junior in his arms, settles to sit down with me.

"How're they?" He asks. "I called in and said it was a family emergency and I cancelled the flights back to Lagos."

He didn't have to, but he did. That was enough.