05: Kartik stands up for Naira.

KARTIK:

My eyes met with Naira's, who's were drenched in a bucket full of questions. Her lips trembled as if she wished hard to say something but someone stopped her. I felt a sudden urge to stand up for her but then I realized- who is she to me? But then, I remembered how kind the Goenka's are referred to as. I just sympathized with her and brought her to Goenka Villa, else, no sane man would ever bring a strange girl to his house... As you know, I am referred to as the kindest of the Goenka's.

"Maa- but, where will I take her now? Those goons will try to torture her again... and besides, her family resides in Mumbai- it's not what you think..." I said

"Really?" Papa asked

"Ha Papa..." I replied "Its true... I saved her... Let her stay with us for a couple of days until we find her parents..." I said 

"Swarna, I don't think he's lying... Akeli ladki kaha ghoomti phiregi... Agar, Kittu chahta hain ki woh rahe... toh let her stay..." Dadi appeared from behind Maa and said "What's wrong with it? Anyhow, our Kittu saved her life..." Dadi came forward and took her chin between her fingers "and if we let her go away like this then- Mata Rani will become furious..." 

"Maaji, jaisa thik samjhiye (Maaji, whatever you think)," Maa said, giving a dissatisfied expression "how can I allow an unmarried girl to stay with my son..." Maa whispered

"Bhabhi!" Akhilesh uncle protested

"Yes- yes... Now, I'm wrong..." Maa said "you can only see the wrong in me... And, whatever Kittu is doing is fine?"   

"Swarna, please- Kittu, has just returned... don't irritate him ..." Papa said. I could see tear sprinkling in her eyes but she refused to show it.

"Jo marji mein aaye woh karo!" Maa screamed as handed the thali to Dadi and ran inside.

Dadi glared at Maa as she walked inside. She then came forward and circled the puja thali (Aarti) around us. I couldn't see that smile on Naira's face anymore. Dad and Akhilesh uncle walked away inside and after circling the thali Dadi welcomed us...

"Come inside..." she said

Dadi went inside but Naira turned her back and was about to walk away, had not I seized her hand and restrained her. Her hair fell to her face, covering her eyes. With one hand I removed the hair from her face.

"Where do you think you are going?" I asked

"I don't belong here... I am going back from where you've brought me..." she said in a dramatized tone.

I released her hand to see how far she could go...

"Paise hain?" I asked

"No..." she whispered

"Do you know the plane time?" I asked

"No..." she whispered

"Then, it's perfect... Jyada sherni banne ki koshish mat karo... and so, you're coming with me..." I grabbed her hand and pulled her inside. 

***