15: Kartik's birthday to be celebrated?

Naira:
Why do I always feel attracted towards Kartik- I barely know him. Even though I have fallen for him, can't I not leave him. Why??
I just can't stay a moment without thinking of him yet now I have to ignore his pretty face.

Kartik:Why the hell AM I FEELING SO sorry for a girl I barely know!? I should be angry on her for treating me with her shrewdest attitude which I least deserve

Kartik:
Why the hell AM I FEELING SO sorry for a girl I barely know!? I should be angry on her for treating me with her shrewdest attitude which I least deserve ... or at least never deserved from her. One minute, when did she turn out so important for me?

Why do I always have a craving to look at her ... Why can't I see her upset...?
I have to look for these answers! 
P.O.V ENDS

*
Naira placed her head against the wall and gave a deep thought. This life isn't life. Its like a never ending game.
She placed her hand against her heart and dozed off.

***
She felt a terrible pain on her back now as she found herself on the floor, stray and abroad. Her open hair fell to her face.

"Hey! Humari thik se mulakaat nahi hui..." A voice at the door said "Come here, let me help you out,"

It was Gayu. She walked over to Naira and then scraping her hands on Naira's back, she picked her up.

"Thank you. Mein gadhi hoon... Pata nahi kaise gir gayi," Naira slapped her forehead as she said.

"There's nothing wrong with it. I am even clumsier. Anyways, I am Gayatri. And you?" Gayu said as she let out her hand to Naira.

On hearing the name the ground beneath Naira's feet shook. She couldn't blink her eyes anymore. 

"Bolo... Koi toh naam hoga na?" She asked

"Nai- Naira Singhania,"

Gayu's face fell open. She pulled Naira to her chest. 

"Meri bhi ek behen thi...Naira... the same name- the same surname!" Gayu said as tears scrolled down her cheeks

Naira broke down and mumbled

"Gayu di..." Her eyes shedding tears of joy and happiness... 

"Naira- is that really you? Sixteen years... Can you imagine? How could you do it to us? Akshara Mami had been searching for you relentlessly everywhere... Naksh refuses to talk of you..." Gayu said

"And Papa?" Naira asked

"He has gone down into depression. He is always saying that 'I don't have any daughter... I never did ... I never had,' even though he is sensible enough to know that you are there. At some point of time- we thought that we had lost you (you were dead) but now-" Gayu was interrupted by Naira

"I am ALIVE!" said Naira as she hugged Gayu back. Suddenly there was a strange knock on the door. On turning back they found Kartik, leaning against he door frame- staring widely at their looks.

"Ka-Kartik..." Gayu and Naira gasped in unison. But even before did he notice the tears in Gayu's eyes- his eyes fell on Naira...

"You crying? Again?" asked Kartik. But Gayu misinterpreted it to be for her and smiled. She rubbed her eyes with her knuckles. Kartik shrugged and walked towards Naira- which made Gayu realize that the 'you are crying' statement wasn't for her but was for Naira. She was stunned and taken aback by the care Kartik showed towards Naira. The care which lead him not to notice tears in Gayu's eyes as well. For him, somewhere Naira's position lay high above than Gayu's- which she had then realized.

Kartik rubbed Naira's tears and pleaded her not to cry.

"I want both of you downstairs! Right now!" Kartik commanded and smiled at Naira, not even sharing another look at Gayu.

Kartik:

'Soon I'll find out what's wrong with me... why can't I stay away from Naira... when I am so in love with Gayu. Even so, I don't feel like staying with her when Naira is around. It feels so strange when every time I badly wish to run back to her and take her in my embrace but again it isn't possible. Is this love? Or Just friendship' 

P.O.V ENDS

The entire house gathered downstairs eagerly waiting for the announcement to be made the next.

"Kartik, what's the matter?" Dadi asked

"Dadi, do you remember what's tomorrow?" asked Kartik 

"Its the 22nd of September," Manish said

"Exactly... And what's on that day?" Kartik asked

There was a silence for five seconds when Swarna broke in

"YOUR BIRTHDAY! HOW COULD WE FORGET IT!!??" 

"Kartik's birthday?" Gayu and Naira said in unison

"Yep," Akhilesh added 

"Its gonna be fun!" said Lav- Kush together

"So, as you guys barely remember- I have made arrangements for my own birthday," Kartik said 

"Yeh toh bahut acchi baat hain. Aakhir, after so many days we can enjoy again!" Dadi said

"There's a dress code- in black..."  Kartik said... Everyone smiled at him. 

There was a fun loving moment before everyone returned to work. Naira stood there gaping at him

"Kya?" Kartik asked

"Why didn't you ever say me?" she asked

"Say you what?" Kartik asked

"That 22nd of September was your birthday." she added

"Oh!" Kartik gasped "Listen, forget it. Tomorrow we have a theme... everyone has to get ready in fancy style... or like a cartoon character,"

"Lekin tumne toh yeh kaha nahi... sabko. Toh mujhe kyun?" Naira asked

"Arey, sabko toh pata hai! Every year- same theme," Kartik stammered 

"Oh," Naira gasped

Kartik: 

'Naira, I am sorry- I don't like hurting you but this is just to check if I really have got feelings for you... You will be in terrible pain after this... I just want to see if I can bare it or not...' 

P.O.V ENDS