13: Gayu is Here!

Naira shrank down with her head in her hands. That was what she feared the most. Everything in her life was so haphazard. She longed to meet her parents and on the other hand she fell in love with a stranger... But she had to keep a distance as he loved someone else.

"Yeh kya rishta hain humara. Jise janti tak nahi... Usi se pyaar kar bethi." Naira said to herself. She looked at her hands and mumbled "god knows, what else will follow..."
...
'Papa , I am home!"

'Princess,' a voice said from behind. The girl's hair hung beautifuy down her hip and she giggled with jolly.
She was accompanied by another girl about her age or a year more... She was fair...Fair and gorgeous...
It was their Dance Competition...
And 'Princess' came first...

'Naira, did you get your trophy?' THE MAN ASKED

'Fish, lagta hai cab main reh gaya. Gayu di, you wait here... Lemme fetch it,' She said

She walked out of the door. The bangles on her wrist clashing against each other. In her pocket she had the picture of her family she took that day... The picture , she had picked it up right from the studio today.

She knelt down and opened the cab door but suddenly she felt a terrible pain on the back of her head and then everything around her became hazy... She fell down

....

"Papa!" Naira yelled as she sat upright on the bed... Her head releasing heaves of perspiration. Her lips trembling, her hands clutching the blanket tightly. Blinking numerous times she got down the bed...

She splashed water on her face and walked out of her room

"Naira, can you please bring that bucket down?" Asked Dadi. Naira smiled as she picked up the heavy bucket and tried to go downstairs. The water from the bucket dropped on the stairs, and unfortunately her feet touched it... Kartik was walking upstairs with a tea cup but then...

SPLAT!
SPLASH
WHIZZZZ.....

OOPS..

Naira in Kartik's arms, the tea cup making a clear contact with Naira's toe... The bucket rolled down the stairs.

"Aaah!" Naira groaned as the heat grazed her skin...

"I am so sorry... I-" Kartik mumbled but couldn't finish when he saw the red spot appearing on her skin.

"It's okay..." She whispered

"No it's not..." He said showing concern towards her "you've burnt your skin... I mean- I have burnt your skin..."

"Doesn't matter... Many other things have also burnt besides my toe.."Naira whispered to Kartik as she bent down and picked up the overflowed bucket. She staggered down the staircase and ran out to get it filled again...
Kartik's eyes stayed frozen on her, wondering what was the cause of such a shrewd attitude.

"Mujhe attitude dikha rahi hai!" Kartik thought to himself as anger flew down his veins "just because I am taking care of her... She has got no right to be so shrewd!"

"KARTIK!" A voice wrung in his ears

To his surprise he saw Gayu standing at the door with a suitcase in her grip and she bore a steady smile.

But to our surprise Kartik was not much amused, he just gave her a weak smile.

Just then, Naira walked inside with her overflowing bucket and her eyes fell on Gayu.

She felt a strange connection with her but without a word or two walked passed her.

Kartik glared at her.

'Ise maja chakhana padega'

He thought to himself...
Gayu walked at par with Naira...but Naira's eyes meeting the floor. Gayu ran over to Kartik and hugged him.

"I've missed you," she said..
Naira was outraged from inside but she didn't speak because she knew that she had no rights on him...

"Baby, I've missed you too" Kartik patted her head but his eyes still fixed on Naira who staggered and stumbled with her half burnt toe.

He looked at her until she was out of sight.

"Come, let's meet Maa and Papa," said Kartik as he scraped his arms around her shoulder and walked off..

*

"Thanks Naira," Dadi said as she took the bucket from her hand.

"Why do you need to thank me, Dadi? It's my duty...to help you after all you helped me with a shelter...When I had none," Naira said. She gritted her teeth together to stop the tear flow.

"Tumhare gharwalon ka kuch pata chala?" Dadi asked

"No, Dadi. Par hal nahi chorungi," Naira said

"I hope you meet them sooner..." Dadi said as she pulled her veil over her head.

She turned to her geet and walked off.

"Ganga Maiyya, when will I meet my parents..." Naira muttered back to herself ...

.....................