Chapter Two

The stinging slap across my cheek brings tears to my eyes. I don't let them fall and I bite my lip to keep it from trembling. I keep my eyes on the ground, not daring to look up at the higher ranked wolf.

"You call this clean?" She growled, shoving a shirt in front of my face. I swallow and look at the white shirt. It's a male's button up, I don't see anything until she points out the red smudge on the collar. "We allow you to clean our things, my mate expected this to return to him clean. Not stained!" Another slap has my cheek burning.

Other Omegas are staring. She'd come storming into the basement demanding to know who cleaned their clothes. Iris pointed to me when the higher ranked female turned to her. I hadn't been the one to clean the shirt but I could also tell that it had been recently worn. I might not have been able to smell the male's sweat or body odor because of my weak nose, but I could tell by the wrinkles.

"What is this? Tell me now." I looked at the red smudge on the collar of the shirt before braving a glance at the female.

"It's lipstick." I told her honestly. "And the shirt has been worn, surely you can smell that." I don't know where the nerve to say that came from. Annoyance perhaps. I was tired of higher ranked wolves abusing those of lower rank, not just me but all omegas. We shouldn't be expected to be responsible for all of their problems. They are more then capable enough to wash their own clothes, clean their own rooms, prepare their own meals. Hell, we were basically washing their asses for them.

Before the now red faced female could respond either in harsh words or another hit, the Alpha spoke through the pack link. His son was returning and everyone was expected at the Pack Meeting this week. He wanted those in the pack house to greet the Heir upon his arrival. The female growled and threw the shirt at me before marching off.

I waited until the room was cleared before following. Reida grumbled to herself in front of me, moving slowly up the stairs. The front of the house was crowded with wolves and I spotted Oliver, I lifted my hand to wave but dropped it when his eyes narrowed more than usual. I frowned and moved into the shadows by the marble stairs.

Everyone was chatting excitedly, happy for the return of their future alpha. I wasn't really sure where he went for three years but I've heard some say something about intensive alpha training. Whatever that was.

A female was in front of me with her pup. The little pup smiled up at me with her missing front teeth, I returned the smile but her mother turned around to see me before growling and dragging her pup away. I didn't risk looking up again.

I tugged on my brown curls before pulling the hood on my hoodie over them. The green hoodie was much too big but it was soft and I like cuddly, warm things.

The crowd of wolves quieted down as I heard tires on the gravel driveway. I couldn't see because everyone around me are freaking giants but there was nothing really to see. I understand that he's been gone for three years and everyone wants to welcome home their future alpha but I didn't really know him anymore. When we were kids, he'd play with David and I but then the Alpha forbid me from being around other pups and then he was gone most of the time.

The car stopped and the wolves pressed forward, growing loud again. I shrunk back and hovered near the stairs, ready to dart back inside and hide in my room.

The wolves moved aside as a tall male pressed through, laughing and heading towards the stairs.

I froze at the sight of him. He looked just like David. His hair was the same sandy blond and his skin held the same tan from being in the sun. I was positive that if David had lived, he would have looked just like this male.