Chapter Fifteen

I love cake. But I love cake batter even more!

Sucking my fingers clean, I picked up the mixing bowl and poured it into the oiled cake pan. When I was little my mom always told me it wasn't good to eat the batter because of he raw eggs. My logic was that I'd seen people drink raw eggs in movies. My mom would always let me lick the spoon clean though.

The Alpha didn't seem to have these worries and instead of scolding me, he'd snatched the mixing spoon for himself.

I slid the cake pan in the preheated oven and turned it up a little.

"You know, Tobias didn't always want to be Alpha." Marcus, as he insisted I call him, was perched on one of the barstools across from me. "He hated the very idea of it. Told me one day that he didn't want to run a pack, he was going to be in a band."

I gaped a little. This was news to me and I was always eager to learn more about my mate. "Please don't tell me he was lead singer." I cringed, remembering the awful sound coming from the bathroom when he was in the shower.

"Oh Goddess no, he can't sing for shit." Marcus laughed and I sheepishly nodded as I dipped my fingers in the bowl. "He took to the guitar though, wasn't half bad either."

My brows raised, I'll have to mention that later. "So what gave?"

"I'm not sure really. He came back home one day and told me he was ready to train. Said he was going to be the best Alpha he possibly could be."

I smiled at that. I have no doubts that my mate will be the great Alpha he now wants to be. And I'm going to be right there with him, making sure he will be.

Alpha Marcus and I chatted while the cake baked, he mostly shared embarrassing stories about my mate and promised to get the pictures out to show me. I liked the Alpha, we got along just fine when I realized he had a constant sweet tooth and he usually joined Tobias and I for dinner. Most of the time he talked proudly about his grandson and all his achievements. He admitted that he's been taking Quinn from his training and spoiling him with junk food behind his father's back.

I found myself wondering what my own father was like. Would he have been like the Alpha? Would he have been proud of me? I wished I at least got the chance to meet him once but he died while I was still in my mom's belly.

Alpha had just left to take a phone call, saying he'd be right back. I was taking the finished cake from the oven and shaking it from the pan onto the cooling rack when I heard footsteps and looked up expecting the Alpha.

To my utter terror it was not the Alpha. I'd done so well avoiding the male that this was the first time I've actually been in a room alone with him since I was a pup. Frozen in place, I blinked up at the male as recognition reached his gray eyes that seemed to darken. My mouth had gone dry and I couldn't swallow, much less breathe.

Lowering my head I whispered "Beta." But otherwise I didn't move a muscle. I could tell from the look in his cold eyes that he still wanted to kill me. We both knew he would have if the Alpha hadn't interfered and the only thing stopping him now was my bond with Tobias.

Someone entered the room and my wolf cowered, making me flench violently. There was only one male who made my wolf react like that but I was too scared to look up and confirm it.

The cake pan slipped from my mitten covered hand and clattered on the floor.

"If you kill him, I won't snitch." The Enforcer snickered and I backed away some. My wolf wanted to be as far away from him as possible. I wanted to be away from both of them.

"Killing him would be too good for him." The Beta growled. I risked glancing up to see the male on his phone but the Enforcer wore a smirk as he began to leer at me.