Chapter Three

I remember waking once only to scream and thrash in pain. Someone was holding me down against a bed, the male above me was speaking but I couldn't make out anything he was saying. All I could think about was the pain. It hurt, it hurt and I wanted it to stop. Another male joined the first, trying to keep my arm still but he couldn't. He was saying something to the other. A large hand gripped my jaw tightly and I tried to focus on the intense hazel eyes above me. The small prick in my arm was nothing compared to the pain radiating through my whole body. Darkness consumed me once again.

Breathing hurt. My whole body ached and my nerves felt raw. It wasn't as bad as before, my brain didn't feel like it was turning to mush but was instead cloudy. I couldn't swallow because my mouth was dry and my throat sore.

"You said he would wake." Someone was growling. That's what woke me. I didn't like the sound of his distress but now I just wanted him to shut up because the noice hurt my head.

"He will wake when his body allows it. He's lucky to still be alive, suppressing a wolf for so long is unheard of. The last known shifter to suppress her wolf died within a year."

Another growl. I was scared to move, the sheet covering me was almost too much. I started with something small and wiggled my fingers. I whimpered from the burning that shot up my arm. Someone was there, a light touch on my fingers. It was hesitant but when I didn't cry out, a larger hand incased my smaller one. Surprisingly, there wasn't any pain besides the slight raw feeling. The warm hand seemed to sooth the ache though and I gripped it in return, searching for more relief.

"Samuel?" I did whimper from the sound of my name. I was scared I too would forget it.

"The morphine is probably wearing off now, I'll send in a nurse." A door clicked shut softly and I tried to pry my heavy eyes open. It was a mistake. Pain shot through my head from the blinding light and my grip on the hand tightened.

"It's okay," the deep voice soothed beside my ear, a hand pushing back curls. Even though the gentle touch didn't physically hurt me, it made me uncomfortable. "The nurse will be here soon to help with the pain."

Not even seconds later I heard the door open and feet shuffling closer. Someone was on my other side and unlike the male's soothing touch, this persons sent pinpricks across my skin.

"He'll be a little woozy once this kicks in, we doubled the dosage because his increased body temperature will burn it off quicker. It's only until his body stops trying to heal itself and then we'll lower it again." The female's words made my head pulse and I didn't understand most of what she'd said. What are they doing to me? Are they torturing me before they grow bored and kill me?

Don't be stupid, if they were doing that they wouldn't be trying to take the pain away. And the hand rough with calluses wouldn't be holding my hand so gently.

"I'll be right back with some water, I'm sure he's thirsty." She did just that and I was thankful when someone directed a straw to my mouth.

"Lights." I croaked eventually, making the male jump up and move across the room before returning to my side and gently reclaiming my hand.

"They're off." He reassured in that same deep, smooth voice. I only dared to open my eyes to slits and peaked at the male beside me. His thick brows were furrowed and he looked like he hadn't shaved. Although he could easily pull the look off, he was effortlessly handsome. It was quite unfair truthfully. His jaw was strong, his nose straight, his russet brown skin clear aside from the scar on his top lip. Lips that I found myself staring at but not for long because I turned to look around the room.

I was in one of the rooms in the clinic. I'd worked in here multiple times, cleaning bed pans, blood and collecting laundry. Even though wolves heal faster than a human, it's not instant and most scratches from claws alone need stitches. Newly shifted pups are prone to injuries, being clumsy with their claws and new canines. That's why the clinic was added to the East wing of the house.