Prologue

********

********

"Papa?" Calliope Doge stared wide-eyed, at the body of her father that lay spread-eagled on the floor of the family's small kitchen.

The young girl fell to her knees and pulled his head into her lap. Blood was trickling from his ears, and his glassy stare was fixed straight ahead of him.

Calliope felt sobs begin to rip through her body, she held Isaac Doge's head close to her chest as tears began to fall from her small face. Because the life was gone from his body, and it was all her fault.

********

"Shall I take your bags upstairs sweetheart?" Elphias Doge asked his granddaughter kindly.

Calliope gave a small nod and passed her bag to the man. As he retreated from the room up the rickety stairs, Calliope looked around the room. Her eyes settled on a dark looking corner, she made her way over, sat herself down, drew her knees up to her chest and buried her face in her knees.

******

"Albus I don't know what to do," Elphias confided in his oldest friend, "she hasn't spoken a word since he died."

"Elphias you know what caused your son's death just as well as I do," Albus replied, "perhaps Calliope didn't realise what she was doing, but we both know what her mother was. It cannot be a coincidence that Isaac died in the way he did."

Elphias looked down at his hands that were folded tightly in his lap at the mention of his son. He didn't want to believe that Calliope had been the one to kill her father, but he did know that she was dangerous. He didn't understand it any more than she did, and that was what scared him about his granddaughter above all else.

"It is my belief that Calliope did not intentionally cause harm to Isaac," Albus continued, "but that does not mean that she is any less dangerous. Perhaps she is even more so if it were unintentional, as that implies that she cannot control it. There is a reason that Isaac neglected to mention her blood status to the ministry, they would view her as a threat, and attempt to remove her."

"She is just a child Albus!"

"I know," Albus smiled sadly, "yet she has already been forced to endure the death of a parent. I think that remaining silent is her way of protecting those around her, and might well be for the best. I will obviously still allow her to attend Hogwarts when the time comes, but for now Elphias, you must act as mother, father and grandfather to her."

"Is there still no word from Remus? He is her godfather after all."

"I do not think that Mr Lupin will be up to it. He has stuffed a great deal since he left Hogwarts. With Isaac gone- well, I think Remus will be staying away for now. I'm sure you can understand."

********

Elphias remembered vividly taking his son to Diagon Alley for the first time. Isaac had been beyond excited to purchase his school things and had displayed it in his usual loud and rowdy manner, which had caused his mother (Elphias' late wife) great hilarity.

However, taking Calliope to purchase her school things was an entirely different experience. Four years had passed since the death of her father, and she was still yet to speak a single word.

This was one of the main reasons that Elphias was largely apprehensive about her oncoming departure to Hogwarts. Although Albus had assured him on several occasions that the girl would be just fine, Elphias couldn't help but worry. Would she be teased? How would she fare in lessons? How would she even go about casting spells?

"Shall we go and get your wand first?" Elphias asked his granddaughter kindly. Calliope bit her lip and nodded. "Well, it's right this way. Mr Olivander is a very nice man, I'm sure you will like him."

Calliope followed close behind him, so as not to lose him in the hustle and bustle of the busy street. She was quite relieved when they stepped into a much quieter place.

Mr Olivander's wand shop had an almost ominous feeling about it. It was quite dark, and full of rows upon rows of long thin boxes lined the walls.

Elphias strode forwards and tapped the small bell that sat on the desk. The sound reverberated through the shop, repeating again and again in Calliope's ears.

Moments later, an old wizard strode into view.

"What can I do for you today?" He smiled at Calliope, before looking to Elphias, "ah Elphias, so good to see you. So this must be Calliope." He looked back at her, clearly expecting her to say something, but she merely smiled at the boy.

"She's starting Hogwarts this year," said Elphias.

"So you will be needing a wand then," Olivander clapped his hands together, "let me see."

As quickly as Olivander had arrived, he disappeared back into the maze of boxes stacked throughout the shop. Moments later, he returned, with a single box held in his hand.

"I think, perhaps, this one will work well for you." He took the lid off of the box and offered it to her.

Calliope hesitated slightly, glancing over her shoulder at Elphias, who had taken a seat on the stall in the corner. Elphias nodded at her encouragingly. She looked back at the wand and picked it up delicately in her right hand.

"Give it a wave," Olivander prompted, after a few moments of Calliope simply standing there and staring at the wand.

She did as she was told, and gave the wand a slight wave. Red sparks shot out of the end of it, forming a fireworks display, that shrieked loudly, as each firework exploded in mid-air.

"I think that our first try was a charm," Olivander said, "I had a feeling that it would. 10 inches, Yew, with a core of Thestral hair. Thestral hair is generally considered temperamental, but I think in your case..." The man trailed off, "anyhow if I recall correctly, your father also had a Yew core."

"How much?" Elphias asked, noting the expression on Calliope's face at the mention of her father.

Welcome to my new book all about Calliope Doge! 

What do you think so far?

How do you think Isaac died?

Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!

~Em xx