Thirty-Two

"He's going to be back soon," Fred murmured, his eyes were following Calliope around the room as she paced backwards and forwards across the room as she wracked her brains for what could be done to prevent Voldemort going all killy-killy when Fred told him that Calliope did not know who would be the one to triumph out of him and Harry.

"I know, I know!" Calliope was almost wringing her hands out of frustration, "but I don't know how you can work 'I don't know' any other way!"

"Maybe we should just lie to him?" Fred whispered, seemingly fearful that someone was listening in on their conversation.

"No, he said that he'll know," Calliope shook her head.

"No one can read minds," said Fred.

"That's not true," Calliope pointed out, "haven't you ever heard of Occlumency?"

"Unlike you Clever Girl I don't read in my spare time," Fred rolled his eyes.

"Well Occlumency is a very specific form of magic practised only by powerful wizards, it allows them to see into the minds of others, and basically see what they're thinking," Calliope explained.

"So he can read minds then."

"Probably."

"Well, that doesn't help anything."

"You're just going to have to explain to him that the future keeps changing based on decisions that people make, that I can't see how it's going to play out," Calliope stopped pacing and stared right back at Fred, just as the door opened.

"So messenger, what does the banshee have to tell me about Harry Potter," Voldemort slowly made his way into the room, stopping a few feet in front of Fred.

Fred glanced nervously at Calliope, who shrugged conveying that she had no idea what she was supposed to tell him.

Fred took a deep breath and looked directly at Voldemort, which was very unnerving for him to see Calliope's eyes staring back at him from a person that he knew full well was not her.

"She says that she doesn't know, she says that the future keeps changing and that the faces are murky," Fred said with false confidence. 

Voldemort fixed Fred a false and forced smile, and Fred felt a cold chill wash across him, it was strange for Calliope to see such an expression on her own face.

"The boy seems to think that he's telling the truth," Voldemort hissed, "but, banshee, just because he believes it does not mean that it is the truth, you will tell me the truth of what you see, or you will be punished."

********

Hours turned into days, and then quickly those days turned into weeks, but the same question still haunted the banshee and the messenger, "What is in store for Harry Potter?"

Voldemort asked it again and again, unceasingly, and every time he had the same answer, that Calliope didn't know, and every time he didn't believe it and threatened more of their friends and family.

"Screamer please, if you're not telling me anything just give it up," Fred begged weeks later, "soon he's going to stop threatening and actually do something!"

"Fred I swear I don't know anything else!" Calliope promised, "there's nothing for me to tell you, I'm telling you the truth!"

Fred sighed and put his head in his hands, the weeks of captivity were being hard on them, both of them were worried enormously about their families as Voldemort drew more and more annoyed with them, and grew closer to snapping and going after their families. But there was nothing that Calliope could do, as she had never once lied when Voldemort asked that question.

********

"I just wish that I knew they were all safe," Fred mused. Was sprawled out on what had quickly become his sofa.

"I can go and check if you want," Calliope pointed out.

"What?"

"I can leave, you know that right."

"You never mentioned it!" Fred scrambled to his feet.

"So you want me to go then?"

"Yes!" Fred said in a 'duh' tone.

"I'm going!" Calliope stuck her hands in the air. She closed her eyes and thought of Natalie, when she opened her eyes again she was at Hogwarts.

How are you liking Calliope's story so far? Do you think she and Fred will make it out of their current mess?
Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx