Thirty-Nine

Dumbledore turned to the dumbstruck group, all of whom were now staring wordlessly at him.

"There is work to be done," Dumbledore said, "I would ask both Miss Hughes and Miss Weasley to return to their common rooms, you may return to see your friends tomorrow."

Ginny immediately began to protest, but one look from her mother silenced her, and she traipsed out of the room.

"I'm okay Nat, I promise," Calliope said, upon seeing Natalie wrinkle up her face at the prospect of leaving Calliope.

"Well you'd better still be okay tomorrow morning," Natalie replied. She quickly hugged Calliope, and then followed after Ginny.

Once they were gone, Dumbledore turned on Molly, "Molly, am I right in thinking that I can count on you and Arthur?"

"Of course, you can," Molly replied in a resolute fashion, "He knows what Fudge is. It's Arthur's fondness for Muggles that has held him back at the Ministry all these years. Fudge thinks he lacks wizarding pride."

"Then I need you to contact him, I know he is on his way here, but his position in the ministry could be invaluable, Arthur is well placed to contact those who are not as short-sighted as Fudge within the ministry, and whom must be notified immediately!"

"I'll go to Dad," Bill rose, "I'll go now."

"Excellent," said Dumbledore, "tell him what has happened and that I will be in direct contact with him shortly."

"Leave it to me," said Bill. He clapped his hand on Fred's shoulder (no one but Calliope saw Fred wince slightly), kissed his mother's forehead, and then he was gone.

"Minerva, I want to see Hagrid in my office as soon as possible," Dumbledore continued, "and, if she will consent to come, Madam Maxime."

Professor McGonagall nodded, and let without a single word. Her utter trust in Dumbledore was astounding to Calliope, McGonagall didn't need an explanation, she just did what she was asked without question.

Dumbledore then turned to Madam Pomfrey and asked her to go to Moody's office and comfort a house-elf named Winky, who he said was there. The Matron agreed and left the hospital wing. Dumbledore checked that the door was shut, before speaking again.

"Now it is time for several of our number to recognise each other for what they are," said Dumbledore, "Sirius, if you could resume your usual form."

The big black dog looked up and Dumbledore, then it morphed into the form of Sirius Black.

George Weasley gasped in shock. Elphias' hand gripped onto Calliope's shoulder tightly.

"Sirius Black!" Mrs Weasley screamed and backed away from Sirius.

"Mum, shut up!" Ron yelled, in an attempt to quieten his mother, "It's okay!"

Snape had not yelled or gasped, but he had a look on his face that conveyed mingled fury and horror. "Him! What is he doing here?"

"He is here at my invitation," Dumbledore sounded impatient, "as are you Severus. It is time that you lay aside your old differences and trust each other. Time is short, and unless those of us who know the truth stand united, there is no hope for any of us."

Sirius and Snape shook hands and very quickly backed away from each other. It was reminiscent of children wiping their faces after someone kissed them.

"Now, I have work for each of you. Fudge's attitude, though not unexpected, changes everything. Sirius, I need you to set off at once. You are to alert Arabella Figg, Mundungus Fletcher, Dorcas Medows, the old crowd. Once you are finished, lie low at Remus' for a while, I will contact you there."

"But-" Harry protested. There was a quick, but heartfelt exchange between Harry and Sirius, before Sirius transformed into the big black dog again and left the room.

"Severus, you know what I must ask you to do," said Dumbledore. "If you are prepared..."

"I am," said Snape plainly.

"Then good luck," said Dumbledore. Snape swept wordlessly from the room. "Remus, I would ask you to return home before sunrise," Dumbledore continued, "with any luck, you will beat Sirius home." Remus nodded, "I must go downstairs, I must see the Diggorys. Harry, Calliope, Fred, drink up the rest of your sleeping drafts. I will see you later." With that, Dumbledore exited the room.

This is the final chapter of this book, there is an Epilogue to come and then I will announce the sequel!
I hope you enjoyed this!
Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx