Thirty-One

"Now Mr Weasley, Miss Hughes, I need both of you to calm down and listen very carefully to what I am about to tell you," Dumbledore said very plainly so that there was no question of either of the teenagers understanding what he was saying, "there has been an incident involving both Calliope and Fred. I am aware of this already, and I can assure you that we are doing everything within our power to rescue them."

"Rescue!" George stared at Dumbledore with a bewildered expression, "is Fred in danger?"

"I am very sorry George, but I do not know," Dumbledore said sadly.

"Is it because of what Calliope is?" Natalie asked.

"Yes, I believe so."

"What is she?" George demanded.

"That's none of your business!" Natalie glared at him reproachfully.

George made a loud tutting noise under his breath, "she is the reason that my brother is missing!"

"Huh? How do you know that it isn't your brother's fault that Callie is missing?" Natalie demanded, "it's not like he's a saint or anything."

"Don't you even-"

A knock on Dumbledore's office door bought the argument that was brewing between the two teenagers to an early close.

"Come in," Dumbledore sounded slightly stressed when he said this, clearly the argument between the two hadn't helped him in any way, as he was already struggling to handle the situation and maintain a calm composure for those around him.

The door opened, and Professor McGonagall stood there accompanied by four people. Molly and Arthur Weasley entered first, behind McGonagall, both of them had concerned expressions on their faces and seemed to be waiting to be told that something awful had happened. Behind them were Elphias Doge, looking older and more worried than ever, and Remus Lupin, who, despite the situation, looked much healthier than he had been seen as in the past.

"Albus?" Elphias hurried towards his friend, "what had happened to Calliope?"

"Please sit down," Dumbledore summoned several more chairs, and the newcomers sat down.

"Professor, what has happened to Fred?" Molly Weasley demanded.

"Now, there has been an incident involving both Calliope and Fred, the result is that both of them are missing," Dumbledore explained.

"What?" Arthur blinked at his old teacher.

"As half of our company is aware, Calliope Doge is half banshee, meaning she is an utterly unique being. It seems that she and Fred Weasley have formed some kind of bond which enabled them to communicate even when Calliope was not able to be seen by anyone else-"

"But I've been seeing, talking to and living in the same dorm as Calliope since the beginning of term!" Natalie objected.

"I'm afraid that that was not Calliope, Miss Hughes. It was her body, but not her spirit. Someone has possessed Calliope's body, I believe that someone is the same person who has kidnapped Mr Weasley," said Dumbledore.

No one said a thing, but almost every single jaw in the room fell open.

"Is that who Fred kept speaking to?" George broke the silence after quite some time, "I thought he'd lost it!"

"Professor, who is it who has possessed Calliope's body," Remus asked very quietly.

"I'm afraid that is one thing that I do not know," Dumbledore lied, but a meaningful look passed between the two men, and it was clear that Remus understood exactly who it was, and it was also clear that Dumbledore did not want to reveal the fact that Lord Voldemort was making a play for the world again in front of two teenagers and three grieving parents.