Twenty-Seven

Calliope found Voldemort in the Great Hall, talking to Natalie.

"I'll see you later," Voldemort got to his feet and bade Natalie goodbye.

"Not if I see you first Callie," Natalie threw an orange which Voldemort caught, "hey, your hand-eye coordination is improving!"

Voldemort smiled at Natalie, before walking out of the hall.

Calliope was quick to follow, like an invisible shadow.

********

"It took you long enough," Voldemort hissed, completely dropping his facade as Calliope, and letting a look onto Calliope's face that Calliope hoped she never saw again.

"I am sorry my lord," said Mad-Eyed Moody, "I wanted to know what Dumbledore had to say to me before I reported to you."

"So," said Voldemort, "what did he say?"

"He knows that you're here my lord. The girl whose body you are possessing, she is astral projecting herself. Somehow she has made contact with a boy by the name of Fred Weasley, they notified Dumbledore," said Mad-Eye.

"Why hasn't he made a move then?" Voldemort frowned.

"He has informed the trusted members of staff and the members of the order of the Phoenix, he has everyone on full alert, he asked me to keep an eye on you and figure out what your plan is."

"Well, in that case you will have to tell him that I caught on to people acting suspiciously," said Voldemort, "and I think it is best that I take Mr Weasley with me, perhaps he can act as a way for me to communicate with the banshee and ensure that she doesn't cause any more damage."

Calliope backed away from the exchange, with one thought spinning through her head. She had to warn Fred. But where would he be? She was sure that he had retreated to the Gryffindor common room with his brother and Lee like he usually did after dinner. But when she went there, the three troublemakers were nowhere to be seen. She checked everywhere that she could think of, the grounds, their dorm, the great hall. She even looked in the library, although she doubted that they would be there.

Calliope paced the entrance hall, trying to think of anywhere else that he might be. She heard laughter and turned to see Fred and George walking into the hall from the grounds.

"Fred!" Calliope yelled and sprinted towards the twins.

"What?" Fred noted the panic in Calliope's eyes.

"I didn't say anything," said a confused George.

"Voldemort," Fred winced, "knows, he knows that you can see me, he knows that Dumbledore knows, he's going to leave and use you as leverage-"

"Weasley, Weasley!" Mad Eyed Mood clucked up to the twins.

"And Moody is on Voldemort's side," Calliope continued, "he's going to kidnap you and take you straight to Voldemort. Please, Fred, you have to get to Dumbledore, you have to get away from him!"

"Sorry Professor, we've got to dash," Fred grabbed George's arm and made to leave.

"Not so fast Mr Weasley," said Moody with a smirk that looked quite menacing on Moody's disfigured face, "I think you'll find that you are currently out of bed after curfew.

"Oh is that the time already," George glanced at a fake watch, "we are awfully sorry Professor, we'll get straight to bed."

Moody looked between the twins, and suddenly it struck Calliope that he did not know which one was Fred, that was why he hadn't made a move yet.

"Fred, he doesn't know which one you are, whatever you do you can't let George say your name," Calliope told Fred, who briefly glanced towards her.

Unfortunately, this seemed to be what gave away who he was to Moody.

"Now, George if you would get back to your dormitory, I need to have a few words with your brother," said Moody.

George frowned, "surely you don't want to banish the better-looking twin Professor?"

"Go," said Moody, in a rather aggressive tone. George still looked unwilling, but one pointed look from his brother sent George away without question.

Once George was out of earshot, Moody spoke again, "she's here isn't she."

"I don't know who you're talking about," said Fred stubbornly.

"Don't lie to me boy!" Moody growled, "you've got a little banshee whispering in your ear. Well, she can't protect you from this."

"Stupify!" A voice came out of the shadows, shooting a red jet of light that hit Fred square in the stomach.

Voldemort emerged out of the shadows, stowing Calliope's wand in her Hufflepuff robes.

"You have done well Barty," smiled Voldemort, nudging Fred with his foot as he spoke, "you know of course that I will have to stun you so that you do not lose your cover."

"Of course my lord," Moody bowed his head.

Voldemort waved Calliope's wand, "stupify," Moody was knocked backwards and slammed into a wall, falling to the floor unconscious. Voldemort turned his eyes back onto Fred, he waved his wand, and Fred floated as if he were on an invisible stretcher.

Voldemort strode off down the Hogwarts lawn, with Fred's body floating eerily beside him. Calliope had no choice but to follow.

When they reached the gates, Voldemort tapped his wand to the padlock, which sprung open. He pushed a single hand to the gates, which promptly swung open. As soon as Voldemort was out of the Hogwarts grounds, he disapparated, taking Fred with him.