Chapter 19

Did Mark hear them right?

Those words that he had not expected to come out of Jinyoung very soon.

Mark's eyes were locked with Jinyoung's. Those he could see, were waiting for his answer.

Yes he was supposed to give an answer but all words were locked up in his throat.

Now everything was in his way. Yes everything was. He was going to win.

Everything seemed right at that moment but in fact, everything felt wrong.

Jinyoung was looking at him with the eyes that showed purely hope.

Mark was going to have to decide. If it was another situation, he could have grabbed Jinyoung again and let his lips meet those of Jinyoung again, in a deeper and hungry kiss.

His whole body was screaming desires but his player pride was reminding him what he was supposed to do.

Mark averted his eyes from Jinyoung.

"Sorry"

Jinyoung's eyes changed. They were in panic. Mark took a look at Jinyoung and in a split of second, he did see something in Jinyoung's eyes.

He diverted his attention quickly.

"Sorry, we're not meant to be," said Mark, confidence fleeing from every of his words.

Now Mark could see tears were starting to fill Jinyoung's eyes.

"How?" Jinyoung muttered, fighting back tears, which nonetheless rolled down his cheeks slowly, as if meaning to torture Mark. Jinyoung wiped them clumsily.

"No, foolish me. Why did I expect you would accept my love?"

'But I also didn't expect you would refuse me just like that.' Those words didn't come out.

After all the beautiful moments they had spent together, Jinyoung, in the back of his mind, believed that Mark might feel the same.

He had just prepared his heart full enough to love Mark. The older was his first. Everything they had done together, Mark was his first or even could be said the only one.

But Jinyoung's heart was now broken.

Mark didn't look at his way. Even a tad of sympathy was not shown. Or if it was, Jinyoung couldn't find it.

Maybe Mark thought he deserved it. After half of his life living in pride that he didn't need anyone, yes he deserved this heartbreak.

The tears that showed that he was too weak.

He didn't want them to be seen by Mark and covered them with his palms.

Just when he had thought he couldn't wish for anything else if Mark was going to be beside him, everything was going to end just like that.

He looked at Mark's eyes to search for anything that could assure him that their friendship was not broken. At least not because of his stupidity.

"Hyung" Mark looked at him in the eyes this time.

"Please, please, tell me that you will stay remained as my friend. Please, forget everything I've said. I have no one but you."

Mark moved closer to him and embraced him in a hug.

Jinyoung put his head on Mark's shoulder and wetted it with his remaining tears.

Mark's hands soothingly caressed his back and Jinyoung's heart was warm again.

Jinyoung didn't want to be pulled away and thankfully Mark didn't.

Jinyoung's tears were dried and he closed his eyes, with his face hiding in Mark's shoulder.

If they must be only friends, then Jinyoung would try to accept that because Mark's presence alone was enough for him.

They could create more wonderful moments even as friends. Jinyoung assured himself that they could.

He loved Mark. Even if Mark did not choose to be his, still he would love Mark; he would cherish their moments together. He had done in the past; he did in the present; and the future would not change that.

Mark stopped caressing Jinyoung's back and pulled himself off Jinyoung.

His hands reached Jinyoung's cheeks and rubbed softly the dried traces of tears.

"Why did you cry?" Mark murmured.

"I-I thought your answer would be a positive one."

Jinyoung hung his head low.

Then he looked up at Mark again.

"I'm going now," said Mark.

"We're still friends, right?" Jinyoung sounded desperate.

"I can't think of anything now, Jinyoung ah. Maybe we can or maybe we will not choose to."

Why did Mark sound so calm? Jinyoung couldn't believe his ears.

After everything they had done together, that was just it? How could Mark say those words so nonchalantly?

Without a single thought for Jinyoung? Even after he had begged him?

Mark stood up and Jinyoung remained still.

"Goodbye Jinyoung," said Mark but Jinyoung's eyes remained still, without looking up at him.

He couldn't afford to let his heart be broken once all over again by Mark's neutral eyes.

When there was no reply, Mark turned around slowly and left.

With Mark's disappearing figure, Jinyoung realised that he felt lost now without Mark.

There would be no turning back. That was what Mark's words hinted.

Now he was here all alone. Like before. Before he had met Mark. But what changed? His heart. His heart was now in pieces.

The sounds of the outside world were as if mocking him.

The students' voices he could hear away in the ice-cream parlour, now humiliated him.

Everything he saw, reminded him of Mark.

Broken. He was tortured emotionally with no strength left.

Tears rolled down on both of his cheeks again and he didn't bother to wipe them.

And he remained on the bench, with his mind wandering back to his past with Mark, for how long he did not know.