Chapter 23

It had become a habit of Mark to go and wait for Jinyoung at the usual place they met in the campus, by the time of Jinyoung's arrival at the university. Sometimes, he would linger on near Jinyoung's class, to explain to the younger again even if there was nothing really he could say to mend Jinyoung's heart; and everytime he had to force himself to come back in defeat, with his heart ripped by Jinyoung's coldness to him. Everytime the younger ignored him.

Mark questioned whether there would be absolutely nothing between both of them. Mark was certain that Jinyoung knew everytime Mark was near him and what Mark was trying so desperately to get; but wouldn't acknowledge him.

Now most of the people had noticed the situation about them, but what they gossiped was Mark and Jinyoung were having a couple fight or something; that was enough for them to confirm that Mark and Jinyoung were certainly dating.

Mark didn't care them and neither did Jinyoung.

Jinyoung loved him, Mark knew. Although in the younger's eyes, Mark no more saw hatred or anger, there was also no love for him in those eyes. Jinyoung had loved him but now Mark was no more sure.

The more distressing days went by, and Mark was beginning to lose his spirit to win Jinyoung back. Maybe the younger had stopped loving him or even hated him now.

Jinyoung knew he had been heartless towards Mark. He saw all Mark's efforts, how the older looked at him with the longing eyes whenever they came to only some distance away from each other; how his eyes were pleading for forgiveness; and physically and mentally Mark was in a mess, Jinyoung noticed. These all made Jinyoung difficult to hate him. His anger was long gone. He was, however, still mad and upset at the thought of being used.

Today as well, Jackson didn't see Mark anymore in the class, after the lunch time. It had been over a week just like that and Jackson could see Mark was so miserable and troubled. This couldn't just go on like that. He must do something, for his friend's sake or for the sake of himself. He had become less and less high-spirited just by looking at Mark.

Jackson waited near Jinyoung's class. No one had come out of it during the last half an hour. He was sure the class was not over yet.

After another twenty minutes, when he was nearly on the verge of giving up, students came out of the class, including Jinyoung.

Jackson waited a moment till the other students dispersed and then approached Jinyoung.

"Excuse me, Jinyoung."

Jinyoung was shocked to see Jackson there, not at all expecting. Then he remembered there was only one reason why Jackson should be here.

He faced Jackson.

"If you were sent by your friend to convince me to accept him or something like that, I have no desire to listen to that."

"Jinyoung, let me call you just like that, please, I was not sent but came on my own. I know what is happening between Mark and you. Please, for once, try to understand him. He was a playboy, yes, and it was also his insanity to make a bet with me, to make you fall for him. It's all true. But now everything is over. Past is past. You both love each other. I really don't understand why need be torturing yourselves. He really love you, Jinyoung ah, I can assure you that."

"I loved him and I do still love him. But if you were me, would you let yourself trust someone again, who used you, played you from the beginning to the end? That is the problem. I can't just make myself believe him or his words that he loves me. I can't just afford my heart to be broken again."

"But what I see is that you both are already broken. Before things are going too far, I hope you two will mend your relationship."

Jinyoung stood still and made no reply.

"I gotta go now. Mark has been skipping classes a lot lately. Only you can bring his mind into peace again, Jinyoung ah. I hope you'll consider that."

Then Jackson left him.

The next day, Jinyoung prepared to see Mark again. He had thought Mark would come to him before morning classes but Mark didn't. And the whole day Mark didn't appear. Jinyoung was reeled. Had Mark decided to stop trying? Or did something happen to him? Jinyoung hoped nothing would be true.

Today was Friday, and there would be no chance of seeing Mark tomorrow.

Jinyoung was restless the whole day, having seen no sign of Mark.

If something happened to Mark, he would blame himself the most. If only he hadn't been so insensitive to Mark.

He was lying on the bed, musing over Jackson's words. Everything couldn't just go on like that, Jinyoung knew. He must do something to stop all this mess.

He jumped when his phone rang suddenly.

It was an unknown contact but he answered it anyway.

"Hello"

"Is this Jinyoung?"

"Yes, do I know you?"

"I'm Jackson. Please, Jinyoung. Mark's unconscious."

Jinyoung was alarmed.

"What happened?"

"I don't know. I've just arrived at the bar and saw Mark with no consciousness. I scrolled down his phone contact and called you."

"Where is it? I'll come now."

Jackson told the address and hung up.

"It should be settled and hope it'll work," muttered Jackson to himself.

Not long after, Jinyoung arrived. He entered the bar and just at the bar counter, he saw Mark on a bar stool but with his head laid on the counter. Jackson was sitting beside him.

Jinyoung came towards them. Jackson saw him and stood up to his feet.

"Now, Jinyoung, can you bring him home? His parents are abroad, and you see his state does need someone to tend to," said Jackson.

Jackson was exaggerating everything, and all Jinyoung could see was Mark was only drunk. Dead drunk.

But Jinyoung didn't decline the request. Even though he had very little trust in what Jackson was saying, Jinyoung agreed to take Mark home.

Jinyoung took Mark's left arm, placed it on his shoulders, and with his one hand securely surrounding Mark's waist, half-carried Mark outside. Jackson followed behind and hailed a taxi.

After Jinyoung had settled both himself and Mark in the back seat of the car, he turned to Jackson, who was outside.

"Thank you, Jackson, for everything," said Jinyoung.

Jackson just nodded, and the car started moving afterwards.

Jinyoung looked at Mark, who had his head lying on Jinyoung's shoulder, and had not woken yet.

"I hope something might change tonight or tomorrow morning," muttered Jinyoung quietly.