Chapter 20

Mark entered the university campus.

Today would be different, Mark thought.

Without Jinyoung, everything would be different for him.

He felt the void just at the thought of that.

Did he love the younger? Mark was not sure, or perhaps it was just that he refused to think about that.

But he missed Jinyoung. Terribly. One thing Mark was sure, was that between both of them, it was more than friends.

He headed for the class straight away. He had no one to wait for, nor to walk anyone to their class.

Mark thought he would be okay, but when his eyes landed on Jinyoung, who was sitting on the bench, at the usual place they met, unnamed emotions rushed into him.

Jinyoung was there, in front of him.

The younger stood to his feet when he saw Mark.

"Mark hyung," the younger softly called, as if Mark would vanish again, if he called any louder.

Mark put on an emotionless face.

Jinyoung felt his heart was broken again, at Mark's cold stare.

All the words he had thought of, to say to Mark were freezed now. He now realised that there was no point at all.

This time when Mark was looking at him in the eyes, it was now him who couldn't let his eyes meet Mark's.

Jinyoung averted his eyes and sat down on the bench again.

Perhaps Mark would say something.

But, after a moment's pause, he could see Mark's shadow turning and leaving him.

Jinyoung looked up and saw once again Mark fading away from his sight.

"I won the game," said Mark to Jackson, at the lunch time, out of no where.

"You what?" Jackson was utterly astonished.

"I won the bet," Mark said, showing no enthusiasm though.

"So it means that I've lost? And you're telling me only now? Wait, what's wrong with you? Shouldn't you be enjoying your victory?"

"After thinking about what I want, I'll let you know."

With that, Mark took his bag and left the class.

"What's the problem with him? He hasn't even thought of what he wants for the prize?"

Jackson shook his head, looking at Mark's disappearing figure among other students.

"Shit. I can't believe I lost. My savings account!" Jackson whined.

After the classes were over for the day, instead of going back home, Jinyoung grabbed a coffee and left for the rooftop where he sometimes read books.

To clear his mind this time.

Nothing would cure his heartbreak, he knew, but at least, he wanted to try.

He wanted to forget everything, including Mark. He wanted to hate the older but he couldn't.

When he arrived at the rooftop and the place he usually read his books, came into view, memories floated to him.

That place where their friendship started. No, it was actually only a step to lead their friendship.

'We have been together for days already.'

'Maybe, if you can show more of your good side to me.' 'We can probably be friends one day.'

'I'll try. I promise.'

'I can't think of anything, Jinyoung ah.' 'Maybe, we can or maybe, we will not choose to.'

All those words rang inside his head repeatedly.

It was him; this ruin was done by himself, Jinyoung thought.

Nothing or no one to blame, but himself, Jinyoung was reminded bitterly.

Perhaps, one day after Mark had had enough time thinking about this whole situation, he would come and tell Jinyoung that he could forgive the younger, forget everything and they could start once over again as friends.

Jinyoung smiled bitterly. For he knew that he was only comforting himself with such kind of thoughts.

Because he knew that would never happen.

"Here," said Jackson, placing a velvety box in black colour, on Mark's table.

Mark didn't need to open the box to know what was inside.

It was his prize. A Chopard brand watch.

"Thanks to the bet. I have only a little left in my bank account."

Jackson slumped against his seat.

It had been two weeks since everything was ended between Mark and Jinyoung.

But those two weeks were not easy for him, nor for Jinyoung either, Mark could see.

Everything was because of him, and it hurt him even more to see that Jinyoung's eyes were pleading for his understanding and forgiveness, whenever their paths crossed.

"Man, aren't you going to open the box and see what is inside?"said Jackson, impatient with Mark.

"I know what it is, of course."

"What's wrong with you, Mark, these past days? Since the day you won? Are you perhaps upset that I had to spend a lot of money to buy that watch for you?"

Mark shook his head. He knew that Jackson was only lighting up the atmosphere.

Mark had no mind to joke around now.

Jackson's parents were rich and this amount of money was nothing to him.

"It's Jinyoung," said Mark, "I feel guilty whenever I see him."

"Only guilty?" asked Jackson.

"What do you mean? Of course, I feel sorry for him. He is suffering because of me."

"What about you? Aren't you suffering as well?"

Mark was not shocked that Jackson was asking him such kind of questions.

Jackson, of course, must have noticed what Mark was feeling.

"Players are not supposed to fall for their preys, Jackson."

"But you did, didn't you?"

"I don't know anymore, Jackson. I really don't know anymore. Done is done. Time will cure us."

"Maybe. But who knows."