Steve - Before

Set in the 1940s
----------------
You walk out of your house, basking in the morning sun.

The birds are chirping and the winds are blowing, and it's just a beautiful day. The grass on your porch is greener than ever, and colorful flowers grow on top of them.

You wish you could remember this forever, and preferably with the man you love on your side.

You know that won't happen after today, though.

Steve is leaving tomorrow. You're not sure how you'll survive without him for months, but you know it's going to be alright.

He'll come back, and start a life you both have always dreamed of.

You know about the super-soldier serum, but as you also know that Steve's apparently fine with being experimented on (unlike any other normal person), so you decide to support him no matter what happens.

You see a small figure on a motorcycle pull up in front of your house, and your Steve walks up to you, taking your hand and placing a kiss on it.

"Good morning," he greets. "Are you up for an impromptu tour of the city?" he asks.

You grin, nodding. Everything you do with Steve is fun, and you have a feeling that this one's going to be hard to forget.

You get up on his motorcycle with his help, and he starts the engine as soon as he knows your arms are snugly wrapped around him.

"Bucky's not coming?" you ask him, since you've both been best friends with Bucky for a long time. In fact, Bucky was the one who introduced you to Steve.

"No, he's spending his last day before the war with his family. He said that he'd meet us later," he replies.

You get chills from the cool wind, and you hug Steve to get some warmth. He's a human furnace even though he's seems so frail and tiny.

"I got beat up in this alley right here," Steve explains, nodding towards a small alley in between the buildings near the city square.

"You have to stop trying to get beat up, love. Bucky won't be here forever, you know?" you advise. "Not that I don't think you're strong, but you don't know when to give up sometimes, and it scares me."

"I'm sorry," he mutters. "You won't have to worry about me anymore, though. They'll take good care of me."

"Yeah, right. Steve, if I know you, and I do, you'll sacrifice yourself for others. That's not exactly ideal if you're in the middle of battle," you say, feeling extremely selfish. You pause, before saying,"I just... I don't want you gone, Stevie."

"Stevie?" he asks, chuckling. "I promise, though, I'll be okay."

There's a moment where the only thing you hear is the sound of the light traffic a few blocks away and the engine. You think about the things that could happen during the war, and you have a feeling that somehow Steve isn't going to come home.

You hold back your tears and lean your head on his shoulder, burying your nose in his shirt. He smells like detergent and his cologne. You'll definitely miss the scent of him when he's away.

"Did you just drool on my shirt?" he asks, laughing.

You sniffle, bursting into laughter. "No."

"Then- oh my god, are you crying?" He turns his head to looks at you, and upon seeing your watery eyes, he stops the motorcycle on the side of the road. "Hey, darling, you okay?"

You nod. "You're not gonna be the Steve I know anymore once you get the serum," you tell him. "It'll just... It's gonna be different, you know?"

"I know it'll be different," he replies. "But what I also know is that you're not gonna lose me. Whether it'd be me changing entirely or KIA, it's not gonna happen."

"How are you so sure?" you ask, tilting your head in confusion.

"I don't know," he answers truthfully. "I'm just trusting my gut."

You sigh, wrapping your arms around him and nuzzling your face into his chest. "I don't want you to go."

"I have to, darling."

"I know." You frown, feeling tears streaming down your face as your heart aches. "I don't want you to go," you repeat, your voice cracking in the end of the sentence.

"Oh, baby," he coos. "I'll come back for you, don't worry."

"You promise?" You look up at him. Even before the serum, he's still a little bit taller than you are.

"Promise," he says, kissing you on the forehead. "I'll be back here before you know it."