Steve - Sacrifice Pt. 2

GUYS AJSKSJSKSJS WE REACHED 30K WHAT EVEN ISNSJSO IM SO THANKFUL FOR EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING, COMMENTING, AND VOTING. I WISH I COULD GIVE ALL OF YOU A HUG. THANK YOU.

Also sorry this took a while. Hope you guys like it!
--------------
Steve has your hand in his as you walk to your shared bedroom. He closes the door behind him and turns to you. "I love you," he tells you. "I love you a lot," he adds a sad smile on his face.

You look up at him, cupping his cheek with your hand, seeing his eyes hold back tears that are desperate to come out. "I love you more," you reply, bringing back the many instances when this exact banter went down.

"Impossible," he says, sniffling as a tear escapes his eye. He feels your thumb wiping it away and leans into your touch. "I'm sorry," he repeats, probably the twelfth time tonight. "We we're gonna do so many things, and I can't... I can't be there," he croaks out, taking your hand off his cheek and kissing your palm softly.

You'd tell him that you both can still make those things happen, but knowing the fact that he'll just blame himself more for not being able to be by your side when they do stops you from saying anything.

Noticing your silence, he snakes his arms around you, pulling you tight against him.

"I wanna remember this," he confesses. "I wanna remember the feeling of you pressed up against me," he motions to the closeness of your bodies,"like this."

You nuzzle your head into his chest, breathing him in. God knows when you'll be able to do this again, if ever.

"I wanna remember that, too. How you nuzzle into me like a cat," he says with a slight laugh, making the situation just slightly more bearable, at least for now. "I wanna remember everything."

He lifts you up slowly (but easily, of course) and walks the both of you to bed, placing you on it gently before joining you. "Thought the bed'd be more comfortable," he says, burying his head on the crook of your neck after you've both gotten under the covers. "I'm gonna miss you."

"I'm gonna miss you even more." You run your fingers through his hair and you pray that there'll be a time that you can do that again.

"You remember that one time we went on the Ferris Wheel at the carnival?" he asks out of the blue, successfully making you smile just a little bit.

"And we had to suffer through Bucky and Sam's screaming from the other car because they were scared?" you ask back, a hint of laughter in your voice.

He chuckles. "That's the one, but I meant more of the view," he replies, a smile on his lips as his eyes meet yours.

His eyes. God, his eyes. Those eyes have calmed countless of storms in your head and told you that you're safe - that you're home.

You can't imagine them being closed forever.

"I only remember you," you say bashfully, looking down and tucking the imagine of his eyes in the back of your mind, saving it for a rainy day.

Truth be told, Steve's absolutely terrified, and you would've noticed it in his blue orbs if you hadn't looked down. For now, though, he's staying strong. If not for you, then for himself.

So, he laughs warmly instead, lifting your intertwined hands up to his lips, kissing the back of your hand.

"The view was beautiful," he finally says after a moment of silence. "Wish I could die to that with you by my side instead of in front of that purple bastard."

"Steve," you say, before pausing. "Don't," you warn, but your eyes are pleading. "Don't make this harder than it already is."

"I'm sorry, shouldn't've said that. I'm sorry," he replies almost immediately, shaking his head. "Let's just focus on us for now."

You nod, snuggling deeper into his chest as an attempt to keep him safe from any harm or pain that he'll go through in the morning. It doesn't work like that, you know that, but the thought of keeping him safe one last time makes your heart at ease. You look up at him and smile.

"Don't look at me like that." He chuckles. "You're making me wanna kiss you."

"Then kiss me, dork."

He enthusiastically obliges, pulling you in and placing his warm lips on yours. Your lips push agains each other like small waves in the ocean, and in that moment, you want time itself to stop.

You both pull away for air. He looks at you and the whole world fades.

To you, he's not Captain America, the man in uniform who saves people just because he can. The world's most righteous man.

To you, he's Steve. He's your Steve, and he's the man with the most beautiful blue eyes and the one who managed to steal your heart with just a single look. The man who you can easily forgive for not giving you the world because he himself is your world. The man whose eyes you call home.

"Thank you, Y/N," he says after a long while.

You tilt your head in confusion. "For what?"

"For everything. For making me the happiest man on earth every time I'm with you."

"You're making me blush," you say, hiding your face in your hands. You feel tears on the brink of your eyes and immediately blink them away.

He laughs.

It's devastating that everything he does will be for the last time. You try to ignore that, though, and instead just focus on the fact that he's still here with you - still safe and happy.

A small smile creeps onto his face, and he rubs his nose against yours, making you laugh.

If only you knew that the reason behind that is that he wanted to hear your laugh one more time before he goes.
-----------------
It's like 11pm here and honestly my heart is broken I'm so sorry