39: The Gala

“Hello mother.” Cora said in English with a bubbly manner. “It’s so wonderful to see you again! Ah, it’s been too long.” She released Jackson’s arm and moved in to kiss her mother on either side of her face. Her mother smiled brightly as she turned to her step father. “Henry!” She cried, not too loud, but happily. She threw her arms around the man and kissed his cheek. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too, poppet.” His accent was thick. “And who is your friend?” He asked, looking to Jackson. Jackson felt less hatred from the stepfather.

Cora took a step back. “Mom, Henry, this is a very dear friend of mine, Jackson Wang.

Her mother offered a fake smile. “Mr. Wang, how nice to meet you.” She said, offering her hand.

Jackson looked at it awkwardly before realizing what was happening and taking the hand. “Just Jackson is fine, miss.” He said, raising her hand to his lips and awkwardly kissing her knuckles. Her mother smiled with approval. “If that’s alright.”

Her mother took her hand back. “Of course it is, my dear. As long as you’re,” She stopped and looked to his pants. The dropped crotch probably wasn’t formal, but Cora had okayed the outfit. “Comfortable.” She said the words with venom.

Henry offered his hand and Jackson took it. He shook hard. “Henry. So nice to meet you. I expect that if my daughter risked her neck to bring you here, you must treat her rather well.” Jackson nodded and looked to Cora, who offered a girly, and not quite Cora, giggle. “My my, your English is rather impressive, my boy.”

Jackson raised an eyebrow. “Thank you?”

“Of course,” This was in Korean. “You must understand many languages, being a national representative.” Henry grinned at this.

Cora even looked shocked. “I’m so sorry, I had no clue you enjoyed fencing sir.”

“Don’t sweat it.” Henry said with a grin, which earned him a look from Cora’s mother. “I do enjoy the sport very much. But I like any sport that tests one's skill. Did Cora ever tell you that I tried to put her in women’s polo? She hated me for it!” Henry laughed heartily.

Jackson’s lips twitched into a smile. “No sir, she never mentioned it.”

Cora’s mother sighed. “Henry, with his infernal sports talk. Where is that lovely MinHee you always bring with you, dear?” Her mother batted her eyes like if she did, MinHee would appear faster.

“MinHee couldn’t make it tonight because she is attending a music competition in Hong Kong this weekend. She won’t be back until Monday morning at the latest.” Cora nodded her head, and her mother sighed. “She sends her regards.”

Her mother inhaled deeply. “Well,” She breathed. “At least this lovely young man could attend with you.” Her mother turned and smiled to Jackson. “Leave it to my daughter to bring the only Asian in the city limits who plays fencing at a national level. Always out to impress dear Henry.”