44: It Can't Be

MinHee stood in the kitchen with a mug in one hand and a newspaper in the other. She didn’t typically keep newspapers around the house, but this one was a little interesting. The headlines mentioned something about a man caught in the center of a fraud ring. He and his ‘well-off’ wife were now facing lawsuits, and his wife had filed for divorce. Upon looking at the picture beneath the headline, MinHee wasn’t surprised to find Cora’s stepfather trying to cover his face and ward off the cameras. He was with a group of men, so she wasn’t sure if it was Cora’s step father that was the target of the article, but she immediately looked for Cora, who was just moving out of her bedroom.

She shuffled towards MinHee, rubbing her eyes tiredly. “I can’t believe how tired I am. I mean, I slept a total of ten hours between yesterday’s naps and just now. This is annoying.” She groaned, stretching her arms over her head. MinHee had already pointed the newspaper in Cora’s direction, so when she moved to put her hands down, she saw the paper and frowned. “What the hell is that?”

MinHee put her mug down and handed the paper to Cora. “Read the headline.”

Cora’s eyes skimmed the paper, and MinHee could see the troubled expression. She opened the newspaper and continued to read, slowly looking a little less concerned. “Oh god.” She muttered. “What if Henry was involved in this?”

MinHee shook her head and grabbed her mug again, watching as Cora thought over what she was going to do. Eventually, she threw the paper onto the counter and raced to her room. Angry shouts followed, and her door slammed shut before MinHee could say another word. She sighed and lifted the mug to her lips. What was she going to do now? She and Cora had lunch plans in a few hours, but with Cora’s new found problem, MinHee wasn’t so sure they were still on for the plans.

She dropped her mug into the sink and moved towards her room, scouring for something to wear. She settled on a pair of plain white shorts and a black sheer shirt. She pulled her hair into a high ponytail and slipped back into the living room.

MinHee’s phone buzzed on the counter, and she rushed to answer it. It was a text from Jinwoo. ‘Since you’re done with your courses and all, why don’t we go catch a movie or something?’ She looked at Cora’s door and frowned. She could still hear her shouting in angry German. She asked Jinwoo to give her a bit and then moved to Cora’s door. She knocked and was greeted with a shout for her to come in.

When she did open the door, Cora sat on her bed with her arms crossed and turned her gaze to MinHee. “Wie könnte man so dumm sein? It’s the simplest thing, you could have entirely moved around this, ignored the whole situation but sie hatten neugierig sein. Pathetic.” She turned so MinHee could see her hands. She signed that she was sorry, but she didn’t think she could make it for lunch, and that maybe they should go out for dinner instead.

MinHee nodded and told her not to sweat it, that she was just going to go out anyways and would be back later. Cora didn’t question it. MinHee asked Jinwoo where they were going to meet as she raced for the door.

MinHee and Jinwoo sat at a table out front of a small shop, where they’d gotten tea after their movie. MinHee was laughing at the lame joke Jinwoo had told her, laughing more about his face when he made the joke than the actual joke.