After Chapter: Not So Merry Christmas (Mara)

Cora and Mark were both still. He stood beside her, avoiding eye contact, as she stared down at the velvety box he’d given to her. She honestly thought that the sweater had been her present, and she was a bit pissed off that she hadn’t seen the gift coming.

She was staring down a golden chain with… some sort of pendant in the center. She wasn’t entirely sure what it was, but it looked like-

“Is this a golden coffee bean?” She asked mildly.

Mark laughed. “Yes.”

Cora closed the box and glared at him. “You got me a bean? What, did you paint it gold?” She asked, her fingers curling around the box. “You know I’m not allowed to have coffee anymore-”

“It’s a bracelet. I didn’t just get a random coffee bean, Cora. It’s a bracelet.” He said, opening the box and pulling the bracelet out. “I was hoping to fool you, but I didn’t think you’d get

” He said, reaching for her wrist.

Cora watched as he clasped the chain around her wrist. She was already on edge with the coffee ordeal. Five months without a single cup, and she was losing her mind. Jackson had, teasingly, gotten her a single coffee bean, since MinHee wouldn’t let him get her a bag like he’d planned. She blushed a little as Mark’s fingers brushed the inside of her arm. “You didn’t have to get me anything, you know. We’re-”

“Not together. I know. You’ve moved on,” His dark brown eyes looked up at her, through his dark lashes, and she got the distinct feeling that he wasn’t okay with what he’d just said. “How is Jongin?”

Choi Jongin was Cora’s co star for the drama she had recently finished. It was an action drama about a man who comes home from war to find that his country had changed. Cora was his boss/mistress, who, in the end, takes on the responsibility of the terrible actions that happen during the drama, somehow avoids jail time, and marries the quiet, shy intern. Choi Jongin was the veteran, who Cora did, by chance, kiss a few times.

Jongin was great. He was a good friend, he was attractive, and an incredible kisser, but he wasn’t… he just wasn’t right for her. Pictures had been put into magazines about them, there were pictures of their dates, them holding hands, but that was weeks before. She and Mark hadn’t been hanging around when she and Jongin had been close. Surprisingly, this was the first time he was brought up.”

“We’re not together, if that’s what you're asking,” She said, looking down at her feet. Mark looked relieved by this. “As you know, I don’t date.” She looked up, and narrowed her eyes. “Some terrible events ruined that for me.”

He sighed. “I’m-”

“But it’s not like it matters anyways. I was never supposed to be happy like that, like MinHee and Jackson. I think I need a relationship like my mom and Henry. They love each other, but they aren’t all too close. I need that.” She slid off the banister, but Mark didn’t move back. He just stared at her, one eyebrow raised. “Thank you, for the bracelet.” She said quietly.

He nodded. “You’re welcome.”

She bit the inside of her lip. “I guess that beanie I got you wasn’t really worth buying me this,” She said, jingling the bracelet.

He laughed and rubbed at his neck. “Yeah, well, I didn’t really expect anything in return.” He said, shrugging his shoulders. “But it’s-”

Cora threw her arms around his neck, and crashed her lips to his.

And it felt right. It was missing what every kiss she’d had since Mark was missing. It had him. And that was what made it perfect.

She’d clearly caught him off guard, since he still hadn’t moved, and even though Cora’s eyes were closed, she was convinced his were still open. Her hands held either side of his face, she’d pressed herself against him and, even in her heels, she stood on her toes.

If the kiss had been the other way around, with him kissing her, Cora was sure she would be caught off guard as well.

But as Mark’s hands wrapped tightly around her waist, and he kissed her back firmly, she pulled away. More like pushed away, since his arms were so tightly around her, she couldn’t really get too far.

Her back smacked into the banister, and she covered her mouth with one hand. “I’m sorry, I-” He started, but Cora held up a hand and shook her head, stopping his sentence.

She sucked in a breath and looked up at him. “Don’t kiss me back. If you do,” She laughed awkwardly. “We might just end up in our on again off again cycle.” She looked down and shook her head. “Thank you, for the gifts. I’m sorry mine sucked-”

“It didn’t.” He said, reaching out and taking her hand in his. His free hand wrapped around her, pulling her to his chest. He hugged her there for a moment. “Can’t we-”

“Try again?” Cora asked, pulling back and looking up at him. “Mark, we’re poison. We’re no good for each other. We can’t try again.” He sighed and looked past her, clearly not wanting to hear it. “Come on, you’re typically my voice of reason. When did I become the logical one?” She asked, laughing.

He frowned. “When I left.” He said flatly.

“It was your choice, Mark,” She said, taking a step back. “It wasn’t mine.”

He nodded. “It was a bad move.” He laughed a little. “But you’re better now. You’re doing what you have to.”

“So are you, right?”

“Of course.” He said, letting go of her hand. “Why don’t you go give your parents their presents.”