58: First Impression

“What is this I see in the gossip columns today? Cora Matthews dating band member Mark Tuan?” Her mother asked, and Cora could hear her mother slapping down a magazine. “What the hell were you thinking, you foolish girl? We can’t be in the limelight any more than we already are!”

Cora bit down, hard, on the inside of her lip, not wanting to scream at her mother. Nick had talked her into forgiving her mother, into being far less ungrateful to her mother. Even if she was losing her temper at that moment, it wouldn’t be worth exploding over. “Mom, please hear me out-”

“You will come to the house for lunch tomorrow. You step father and I will be expecting you and your friend to arrive at about eleven thirty for our meal, and then we can discuss a few matters. Is that understood?” Her mother hissed.

Cora sucked in a breath. “Don’t take offense, mother, but I need to ask Mark first.”

“And why is that?” Her mother shouted.

Cora opened her bedroom door. “Because he is in a band, mom, and it’s a job not a hobby. He might have rehearsal, and if that’s the case I’ll have to show up alone.” She frowned and looked to Mark and MinHee, who were sitting at the table in absolute silence. “Mark, would you be free for lunch tomorrow? My parents would like to meet you.” She said this in English, so both her mother and Mark would understand.

Mark looked surprised. “What time?”

“Eleven thirty.”

Mark bit his lip. “I’ll just have the guys cover for me for a bit. Should I come here and pick you up.”

“That won’t be necessary. Cora, tell that boy that we’re perfectly capable of employing a driver. Honestly, the cavemen you pick up child.” The line went dead.

Cora groaned. “Mark, my mother wants you to know that we have a driver, so don’t worry about it.” Mark nodded. “Minnie, will you please, please, please come with us?” MinHee looked to Mark, who looked blank, and nodded. “Thank god. You might ease the questions.”

MinHee nodded. She’d a session early the following morning, and would be home before eleven, so it seemed to work itself out. Mark shrugged and sat in one of the chairs. “Why so suddenly?”

“She saw the magazine article. She’s ticked because our family is apparently in the news enough as it is.” Mark looked confused. “The scandal with my stepfather just the other week. It’s still progressing.”

Mark grinned. “Shouldn’t you bring Jackson?”

“She asked for you in particular.” Cora groaned, walking to his side and sitting in the chair next to him.

He frowned. “Should I be scared?” Both MinHee and Cora nodded their heads. He sighed. “Wonderful.”