Request: Trouble in Paradise (Mark's POV)

Mark stood on the corner beside the dorm building Cora had just moved into with the other girls. It was early, really freaking early, in the morning, and he was still partially asleep. He was freezing, and it wasn’t even that cold out. He’d grabbed his black hoodie and leather jacket before leaving the dorms, but it seemed like that wasn’t enough.

The door to the dorm opened, and Cora strolled out, eyes still puffy with sleep, blonde hair tousled from sleep. She probably hadn’t bothered to brush it. Or maybe she did. It looked partially styled. She was wearing a pair of light blue jeans that had manufactured holes on the thighs and knees, a pair of black high top converse, and one of his tees. It was his gray oversized sleep shirt, which had been too big on him and far too big on her. But it was cute.

She was cute.

God, this was going to be hard.

“Hey,” She said, bouncing towards him, smiling sleepily as she threw her arms around his neck and moved to kiss him.

But he pulled back. “Uh,” He started, unlocking her arms from around her neck. “Cora, look, I-” He stopped and bit his lip. “Look, we need to talk.”

Her eyes immediately sobered, and she sucked in her bottom lip, chewing slightly as she looked him over, as if looking for some sign that something was wrong. “Okay. What’s wrong?”

Mark shivered. He wasn’t sure what to say. They’d been fighting like crazy that entire week. It wasn’t even just that week. It’d been months since they held a conversation that wasn’t solely based on shouts and blame. He loved Cora. He loved her a lot. But their relationship was really going nowhere anymore. They weren’t the same people anymore, and he didn’t know how to say it to her. “Look Cora. I love you.”

She nodded. “I know. I love you too. So what’s the problem?” She was shifted from one foot to the next, like she always did when she was getting worried. “Did I do something?”

He shook his head. “It’s just… maybe we…” He sighed. Was it really this hard to tell her he wanted them to go their separate ways? He’d done this before, a million times in fact, but what made her so different? Why couldn’t he just spit the words out? He didn’t want to be with her anymore! He knew it, deep down inside, that they weren’t good for each other. So why the hell couldn’t he say it to her?

He sucked in a breath, closed his eyes, and “I think we need to break up.”

There.

He said it.

But when he opened his eyes, he immediately regretted it. The hurt, and surprise in Cora’s eyes was something he hadn’t really prepared for. And if he knew her, and boy did he know her, he knew that she wasn’t going to show it. She was going to soak it in, hold it inside, and pretend it didn’t bother her.

Her eyes turned stoney, and she pursed her lips. “Oh,” She said quietly. He half expected her to yell. “I see,” She said, crossing her arms over her chest and shivering.

Mark bit his lip and shimmied off his jacket. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have had you come outside, it’s cold,” He said, moving to throw the jacket around her shoulders.

She pulled back, her eyes instantly filled with anger, and her teeth clenched together, as if she was about to pounce on him. “You’re not allowed to give me your jacket anymore, dip shit.” Wow. She really was angry. Not angry, hurt, but anger was how she dealt with it. “Don’t touch me, okay? Just,” She took a step back. “Don’t.”

“Look, it’s just with the tours we’re going on, and your debut-”

“You don’t have to make excuses, Mark. Don’t worry about it,” Cora said, tearing the tee over her head and tossing it at him, leaving her standing in a white tank top. Her arms were coated in goosebumps and her skin was turning bluish purple. She shook her head, letting out a shaky sigh. “I’d, uh, better get back to the others. We’re supposed to be practicing.”

Mark had seen the others leave. He hadn’t said anything to them, but he knew they were headed to breakfast. She was going to be alone in her dorm. She wasn’t going to practice, she was going to cry. He felt awful. “Cora, please-”

She held up her hand and shook her head. “It’s fine Mark. Really. So,” Her chin was starting to tremble, and he knew that it wasn’t because she was cold. “I guess I’ll see you around. I mean, after all, we can still be friends.” He nodded, numbly. “Have fun in Thailand.”

With that, she turned and hurried back into the dorm building.

So Mark turned and started away from the building, a surprisingly hollow feeling in his chest.