Fourth: He's A Clever Boy

I turned twelve. The age where endless questions oftenly dropped by my mind. Where fantasies were real and where fairytales seemed to end.

"You can now begin." Ms Cabin announced, "And whoever stole Mrs. Michie's money will have to come with me at the end of this test."

I started scribbling my pen on the blank lines on my test paper, too eager to write all of the answers that I had been studying. I knew every single question to this English test. Why? Because I simply loved it.

I took a quick glance to check if the time was up, but when I got back to my paper, I felt that someone had been watching me. I looked to my left and there was Ethan. Before I could even see, he already had my answers written on his paper. I gave him a 'you-cheater!' look but all he gave me was his evil smile and the raising of his eye brows. As soon as he did this, I told the teacher.

"Ethan is cheating!" I blurted out. Everyone gasped quietly. Then I suddenly remembered that it was against the rules to speak during a test. Before I even knew it, I was sent to the office. I didn't even get the chance to finish my test. I felt so angry. I was so desperate to finishing that test. It was all Ethan's fault. He owed me a lot now and there was no way he could get away with it. I saw him smiling his evil smile as I was heading my way to the door. I couldn't take it anymore. I stopped for a second and turned at the opposite direction.

"Ethan stole the money." I said. All the faces turned to me, I hope they would believe. "I saw him. He sneaked inside the teacher's room and came out with Mrs. Michie's purse."

I was lying. But the look on my face seemed to convince her.

"She's lying!" Ethan frantically shouted.

"I am not!" I shouted back.

"Enough!" Ms. Cabin stood on her feet, "You two, go straight to the office!"

So we did.

We sat inside a small room which was the Principal's. The atmosphere smelt like leather.

"So what's this all about?" he asked.

Neither of us responded. But after the long silence, I started to talk. We explained what happened. I told him that Ethan really cheated on my test paper and that I made up a convincing story to make the teacher believe that Ethan really stole the money, because I wanted revenge.

The Principal didn't say much. He just nodded from time to time and didn't comment. I guess that was better than a sermon. He almost let me off but the lying that I did couldn't slip off of him. Setting that aside, he turned to Ethan, gesturing that it was his time to talk.

"Well, I did cheat." He confessed.

"Is that all?" the principal asked.

"Yes." He gave a straight face.

"Since you both had done something disrespectful, you'll have to stay in detention until the school ends." He signed a paper and gave it to us then allowed us to leave.

"Wait." Ethan said.

What now?

He looked like he had something to say but I couldn't think of anything. We had just confessed everything to the Principal. What else could be there?

He walked closer to the desk.

"Saydie didn't lie." He said in a soft voice.

What? I thought.

"I stole the money."